Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Port Butt on the Egg, but...

WilbyWilby Posts: 155
edited 6:50PM in EggHead Forum
This is the second pork butt I have cooked. It is going well and the temp held through the night last night. The only problem is my polder is not giving me accurate readings. I know the polder is good and the batteries are fresh so that is not the problem. I have moved it a couple of times. Right now after 12 hours it says the meat is 300 degrees. Not true. The but weights 11.5 lbs so I know it has to cook at least 18-20 hours. Any suggestions????
·

Comments

• egretegret Posts: 4,035
    What is your pit/dome temp.?
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    First thing you might need is a good thermometer. You could also go by feel. When the probe slides in and pulls out effortlessly, it's done. Or when it starts to jiggle like jello.

Might be tough to go by feel on only your second butt, but you can do it!

Good luck.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • WilbyWilby Posts: 155
    temp is running steady at 225
    ·
  • If its a bone in butt try tugging on the bone. It will be lose when its around 200 internal temp. If you don't have a small meat thermo I would get one to periodically check the meat. The thermopen is what you eventually need but a cheap backup might work for now.
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,035
    Well, your polder is obviously way off! Use the tug-the-bone method described below.....you should be able to just about pull it out of the meat....
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Try resetting Polder.

Other than that I'd run to the nearest Bed, Bath and Beyond or Walmart and get a stick type meat thermometer.

Though I do second what Chris (nature Boy) said if you feel comfortable with that
    ·
  • In a pinch I'd use the dome thermometer. ;)
    ·
  • WilbyWilby Posts: 155
    Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. Here is what is going on with about three hours to go. The Polder is definitely junk. I borrowed a stick thermometer and the temp is at 180 degrees. The bone method is a good idea except out west here the pork butt is sold boneless, at least at Costco. No matter I am feeling a lot more confident. I will replace by Polder next week and be off to the races once again. The only thing that really bothers me is I have to open the Egg to check the temp, which breaks the religious experience of never looking or opening the lid. Well next time. I do have what it takes to never open the lid to check it. This is tradition.
    ·
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Rather than opening the Egg time after time to check temperature, why not put the meat thermometer in the top like this:

DSC00094.jpg

That lets you just flip open the daisy flapper for a few second to take a reading, then close it again quickly.
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,687
    brilliant idea
    canuckland
    ·