Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Pork Loin?

Options
Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a 16lb. whole pork loin, but don't have the foggiest idea how the heck to prepare this sucker. I found it on sale for $0.99 per lb. & thought I'd give it a shot. (with the help from the experts on this site of course!) [p]Should I prepare it "Low-n-Slow", like a butt, or "Hot & Fast"? Direct, or Indirect? [p]FYI, the rack was cut in half, for packaging. I stuck it in the freezer, for the next time I cook for a large group. [p]TIA![p]Sparky[p][p][p][p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sparky, If it were my loins on the line, and it usually is (pardon the pun) you have a 8lb beautiful cut of meat. [p]This is in the white meat catagory so your going to want to cook this at 300 to 350 degrees to a internal temperature of no more than 150 degrees. [p]This will give you a nice medium done pork to a very light pink center which is fine for pork. I like to slather mine with mustard and then dust on the rubs of my choice. Your taste prevails on the rub's. [p]You will not taste the mustard. Believe me. But you will have a nice bark to the meat. Especially if you do it at 350 degreesF in the cooker. Do it indirect over a drip pan with liquid supported in a V rack or on another grill supported over the drip pan. [p]I use firebricks on edge to support the second grill. Two of em. It's solid enuff.[p]If you want to save liquids for gravies..use firebricks under the drip pan.[p]Good luck...C~W[p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Sparky,
    Look at NB's pork loin and if that looks good, e-mail KOC for his instructions. Both of them and I think Gfw & Spin have excellent recipes and ideas. I'm still workin' on a different approach. One of these days, it'll be good enough to post.[p]Cheers! Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sparky,[p]I too love pork loin and pretty much cut my teeth cooking them on the BGE, they are relatively forgiving and even the bad ones tase great.[p]My favorite way to cook a loin, if there is a favorite cause theyre all good, is to make a rub out of about a third cup of olive oil and then just go through the spice cabinet and add your favorite spices, keep in mind those that will compliment eachother. I make a paste of these with the oil and slather it on the meat as thick as I can and wrap it in plastic wrap for as long as you want. 4-6 hours or overnight and I've cooked it immediately also, your choice. I cook them direct at about 300-350 to an internal of 140-150 tops. Dont over cook pork as it dries out too quickly and gets tough. The herbs on the meat make a nice crust and the inside is nice and tender.[p]Easy shmeezy and it tastes great. I've also brined a pork loin and it was great. I need to practice on that myself but it was one of the most tender and juicy loins I've ever done, highly recommended also. This is a long topic and others know more about brining than I do but if you're interested I can try and point you in the right direction, the archives have some great links to brining pages as well. Good luck, hope this helps.[p]Troy