Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flying with pork butt

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, guys! Long time, no see. I write back and forth with dhuff from time to time, but otherwise I've just fallen off the face of the earth.

I'm writing today because I could really use your help. I stupidly volunteered to fly some pulled pork to my company's St. Louis office on Monday. I've done so before, but in the past I was just taking frozen Food Saver packages to people who would then take them home and heat them in boiling water.

This time, though, I'm trying to heat it up on-site. I won't have access to any big pots of boiling water. I've asked a couple of people to bring crockpots.

So what's my best plan of attack? Should I just drop the packs of meat down in the crockpots, still frozen, and just heat for a few hours with some water? If so, do I need to run them on High? Or will Low do the trick?

I hope all is well with you and yours!

Mike

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    An idea is to defrost before travel then keep the bags of butt on ice in a cooler ready for the crock pots. Better yet is Nesco ovens- dial in whatever heat you need on site.
    Flying pork butts.....I like it. :lol:
    Have fun.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    ClayQ's recommendation of the Nesco is better than using a crock pot. Crock pots aren't recommended for reheating - they'll take too long and the meat will likely be in the "danger zone" beyond the recommended time limits. You can keep the meat warm in the crock pot but you'd be much safer using another method to bring it up to temperature.
    Egging in Crossville, TN