Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Technique

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't want to suggest I invented the wheel and many posters are possibly doing this but....

When I cook spatchcocked chicken I go indirect until it hits the required temp then remove platesetter and grill direct for a couple of minutes per side. It really crisps the skin up and eliminates any rubbery skin. Like I said, not rocket science but a simple technique the gives eggcellent results.

Comments

• How do you take out the plate setter is it not hot???
  • flatso
    flatso Posts: 24
    Options
    I did this too the second time I cooked two spatchcock chickens on my egg. I also rubbed some peanut oil on the skin instead of olive oil. Skin came out a little darker and had a nice crisp on it.
  • I don't get it how do you take out the plate seter!!! That thing has to be verry hotttt!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Gloves my friend, (welders or silicone) as quick as you can.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I remove mine wearing Orka gloves. These things can handle a heck of a lot of heat.

http://www.saucehog.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=53
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Learned my lesson the hard way...lifted the hot PS with leather work gloves, it was so hot I had to rest it on the felt gasket and 'ironed' a good chunk of it :(
    I now use Orka and try not to hold it for too long.
    canuckland
  • davewolfs
    Options
    There are easier ways, I've found that cooking breast down at fire ring level for first 12 minutes and then moving up to felt level breast up until your breast hits 160 works perfectly and offers a nice crisp and juicy bird, very easy to do with adjustable rig.
  • Samplemaven
    Options
    I cooked mine (5 pound fresh bird) over direct heat (350-375 degrees) after first marianating the bird in zesty Italian dressing for 30 minutes. I cooked the breast side down for 25 minutes and then turned it over...breast side up for 60 minutes until the breasts were at 180 degrees...and I took it off the grill.

It was my first time to cook a whole bird on my new grill and it was really very good.
  • davewolfs
    Options
    Samplemaven wrote:
    I cooked mine (5 pound fresh bird) over direct heat (350-375 degrees) after first marianating the bird in zesty Italian dressing for 30 minutes. I cooked the breast side down for 25 minutes and then turned it over...breast side up for 60 minutes until the breasts were at 180 degrees...and I took it off the grill.

It was my first time to cook a whole bird on my new grill and it was really very good.

180 is HIGH, try 160 in the breast next time.
  • Samplemaven
    Options
    Okay...I've made a note on my recipe and will give it a try. I was just going by what my meat thermometer told me to do. It still turned out very good, but maybe it would be a bit juicier if not cooked so long.

Thanks,
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have some leather welder gloves. Not the great big pair but mainly just leather. The platesetter is hot but it provides enough time ti lift it out and place on the ground quickly. Always thought about developing a type of fork to remove it without touching it but haven't got a roundtuit.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Actually the 180 isn't that bad as the egg maintains moisture. I did it last night and the bird virtually pulled apart trying to remove it from the grill. Very tasty and very juicy.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Bought my first egg last Saturday. Have spatchcocked 3 chickens so far. Have been cooking direct and shooting for 160 breast temp. The last one got away from me up to 180. It didn't seem to matter it was very tasty. The egg seems to be very forgiving due to the moisture retention.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Dave,

There are a lot of folks, myself included, who do not care for the texture of chicken at 160 degrees. Safe doesn't mean done.
  • Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Sounds like your way accomplishes the same thing my method does, but I go direct using a raised grid. I let the temp. get up to 450 or a little more, through the bird on skin down for 10 minutes to sear the skin, then flip over and close the vents to bring the temp. down to 350, and let go for about 40 minutes. I use a DP rub, usually Tsunami Spin, then baste with BBQ sauce for the last 5-10 minutes. Skin is always crispy delicious, and meat is very tender. This method was shared by "gdenby" on the forum a while back, and it's the only way I go now.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I am hesitant of grilling chicken direct as the drippings drop into the lump and burn. Seems like most drippings that burn do not offer a pleasant taste. I have also had the chicken get a little to crisp when cooking direct. Different strokes for different folks but I do like to keep changing technique to see if it improves things.