Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking salmon?

Options
reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if anyone has a good method for smoking salmon. Today at lunch I had the best smoked salmon I"ve ever had in my life. I asked my server what they smoked it with. I was surprised when she said hickory (chunks). First, they cover it with rock salt for an hour wrapped in a towel. Then tbey brush off the salt and wrap it back in the towel and smoke with hickory at 140 degrees for 2 hours. They also used Scottsh salmon. I do know that you have to cook to 140 degrees to kill the parasites. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this method or if there is another method that works.

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Naked Whiz has a cold smoking tute for salmon. The 140 degrees she was referring to was the pit temp. If they hold the pit temp. at or anywhere above this temp. bacteria shouldn't be a concern.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Hey there,

I posted my cold smoked salmon endeavour here.

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=382802&catid=1

Just a note - if you cook your salmon at 140 degrees, you are cooking your salmon. True cold smoked salmon is actually cured which kills the bacteria. You also want to keep the temp below 90 degrees when smoking - that's why my setup includes the mini as my smoke source and pipe it into the large. If you have only one egg you can put the fish in a box or something similar and pipe the smoke into that.

For Xmas this year I made both salmon and rainbow trout using both guava wood from GuavaGreg and Cherry wood. Preferred the trout.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to check out Dougs tutorial on this.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Wow! That sounds like a major project to smoke it that way. I'm still struggling with the basics. I appreciate your input though.
  • reelgem
    Options
    I also need to add that brining will not kill fish parasites. That's not what it's even meant for. It just keeps the fish moist. To kill the parasite for cold smoking you have to freeze at -10 for 7 days. I have a nephew that is a commercial fisherman and I was told this by him.
    Any sushi you eat in a restaurant is frozen previously too. If they say they didn't freeze it I wouldn't eat it.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Was it served hot or cold? Some of the best salmon I have had was served cold. I'm guessing the salt was used as a brining agent. Brining is very popular, then cold smoking.

Mike
  • we need to set our terms.. smoked [cooked] vs cured [possibly cold smoked]
    pacific northwest salmon is smoked [basically cooked] usually with alder wood . lox and gravlox are cured like bacon.. salt & surgar and in the case of gravlox dill and spruce and alcohol
    lox is cold smoked after curing and temperature is not a factor.
  • LoveHandles
    Options
    At the BGE class you're attending, we will be making some wild alaskan smoked salmon. You won't believe how easy it is. At least, its my version of smoked salmon and everyones always loved it. See-Yaa
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Here is a link to Russell's tutorial on smoked salmon that I host:

Russell's Smoked Salmon Tutorial

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I haven't read the other responses but I can say I just follow the salmon recipe in the BGE instructions and it is the best I have every eaten! Outstanding! I have tried the planked salmon but didn't think it was as good as cooking direct on the fish grid. Just make sure not to overcook. I cook it right at 15 minutes direct. The directions say 15 to 20 minutes but the one time I did it 20 it was a little dried out, although still very good.

I use alder. I would think hickory would be a little overpowering for fish but perhaps the method they used compensates.

EDIT: I just realized you were looking for a "cold smoked method" Can't help you there because I am never deviating from the above method.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • reelgem
    Options
  • reelgem
    Options
    Looking forward to it Mike!
  • reelgem
    Options
    It was served cold with toast points and an amazing sauce that I wish I could get the recipe for. It was at Houston's. They're a national chain and I'm sure they won't divulge the recipe.