Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate

Options
Higgy
Higgy Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw on a post that someone's grate split in half. Mine is a metal grate, was that the correct grate to come with the egg or is it supposed to come with a ceramic one?

I also have a neighbor that has a grate holder that holds the grate while you are lighting the coal, I have asked him where he got it and I think he wants to be the only one with this item. Does anyone know of such an item?

Thanks, and I am trying a bar be que chicken pizza tonight.
At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    The grate should be metal.

Help me on this, how do you hold the grate while you light the lump? It's on top of the grate, right?
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I think the one that was split was cast iron, the grate that you got with th egg should be metal with a ceramic coating. The grate lifter came with my egg.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sounds like thirdeye's grate lifter...click here and scroll down a bit
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The confusion may be grate vs. grid.

Grate sits in the bottom of the firebox and holds the lump. Grid sits on top the fire ring and holds the food.

My fire grate is metal. Yours may be ceramic or metal depending on the age of your egg.

The stock grid is a coated metal. The cast iron grid is an optional item.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    There are two grates that come with the BGE. The cooking grates is a wire grate that is porcelin (sp) coated. The other is a fire grate which you stack your lump on. Other manufacturers used a ceramic fire grate ad to my knowledge BGE didn't. Theirs is cast iron, it should be placed in the egg with the bevel down. There is an another grate BGE sells as a accessory, it's a cast iron cooking grate.

BGE sells a grate lifter that looks like a pair of pliers. (Why do you say a pair of pliers when it's only one......HMMMMM). Thirdeye makes a sells a grate lifter that he calls the third hand.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    no you're wrong there Mike - the metal fire grate in a BGE is realtively new. They used to be these ceramic ones. These came from my large and small purchased less than 9 years ago.
    IMG_2344.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Thanks for the correction Ron.
  • Higgy
    Options
    I have had my egg for about 5 months, I have the metal grid. Not sure it is coated with anything. Should I be concerned that I got the right or wrong one with my egg. I did get the grid pliers.
  • Higgy
    Options
    the grid holder hooked on to the side of the shelf on his nest. and the grid holder would kind of suspend it so you would not have to put it down on anything.
  • Higgy
    Options
    Thanks RRP, this is exactly what my neighbor has. I have put a search on google and could not find anything. I should have asked the egghead forum much sooner, thanks again.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    When it was new was it a shiny black of a metallic silver?

Shiny black is how they come stock.

Honestly, as long as it fits and works, what's the difference?
  • Cincykid
    Options
    My XL fire grate (purchased in May '07) is ceramic and is cracked about 50% up the middle. Only a matter of time before it breaks in two. I'm thinking about just finishing the break (after the super bowl) and using JB Weld to repair it. I wish there was a cast iron fire grate for the XL like there is for my small egg.
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Both of mine are metal. My oldest is 4 1/2 years old. I don't know about prior to that.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    There is a cast iron fire grate for the XL.Wish granted :silly: :lol: My XL has one.
  • Cincykid
    Options
    I will be calling the mothership on Monday to order the XL cast iron fire grate... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Makes me wonder how long my dealer had that XL in inventory before I bought it last May. :ermm:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    A grate holder is different than a grid holder.Haha. That's why I was confused. Grate is down in the bottom of the egg, grid what you cook on. Someone on this forum makes them. I think you are talking about Thirdeyes creation. It does look cool. HTH.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Might want to get two. The are so heavy they are sold in a half moon configuration.

Steak011.jpg
  • Higgy
    Options
    Might want to get two. The are so heavy they are sold in a half moon configuration.

Steak011.jpg

That is a nice photo
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Welcome back Higgy!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Higgy
    Options
    Aviator, actually I have just got back home from Indonesia, did a joint service humanitarian mission there. I forget how many nice people that I meet here in this forum. Looking forward to the pork sandwiches is will be making later on in the day. Thanks for the welcome back, did not think anyone knew I wasn't posting.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    The cast iron fire grate on my large is almost cracked in half after 7 years of use. I made a replacement grate from some expanded steel last month. The new grate doesn't clog with ash and I have better temp control IMHO.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein