Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smokin baby backs -help

Options
bosco6672
bosco6672 Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie egger and I am looking for a little advice on smoking ribs. This is my second attempt. The first time they came out dry and not tender enough. What is the best way to cook them so they come out "fall off the bone" tender and juicy? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    low and slow, follow car wash mike recipe in you book that came with the egg. If they came out dry you left them in too long and probably to high a temp
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is my method. Works for all pork ribs for me.

Pork, Baby Back, Richard Fl

100_1870.jpg

Procedure:
    1 After removing the membrane.
    2 I like to set the large BGE, for baby backs, indirect, plate setter, legs up, drip pan w/water, 1 inch deep, "V" rack inverted. 250F apple wood and pecan chips both dry wood. Let cook 3 hours and then every 1/2 hour or so, sprayed w/ 6 parts apple juice and 1 part apple cider vinegar. After 4 hours lightly covered w/ bbq sauce diluted 2-1 w/water just for some flavor.
    3 Figured out a few years back that foil was just to messy for my tastes, but will use it sometimes. Sometimes I will use orange juice and bbq sauce to keep moist, but you got to like sweet for this one. Will pull about 5 1/2-6 hours and cover w/foil on counter until ready to eat a few hours latter. Serve with whatever sauce each likes.
    4 As a senior citizen, most of our friends are past the hot spicy phase in life, save that for Chubby and his crew. Usually rub with a mixture of 2 parts crushed red pepper fine, 1 part fine salt and 1 part fine black pepper and into refrigerator.
    Update: 2007/08/25:
    1 I like to rub them the night before with whatever rub I am in the mood for. Set up large, indirect with a drip pan of water at 250F with a vertical holder. Cut 3-4 slabs in half and set in the rack. After about 3 hours spritz with orange juice when in a sweet mood, Soy and water when in an oriental one, apple juice and water or worchestershire when in a different mood. Spritz every 30 minutes or so. I do not remove and wrap in foil as many do, just decided a few years back that it was to much hassle, probably too messy. Sometimes I will sauce the last 45 minutes and some times will just take off after 5-6 hours and let everyone sauce themselves. Some like hot sauce, vinegar, or mustard etc. Depending on the crowd.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/05/27
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Ribs can be tough and dry if the are over cooked OR under cooked. Follow the above advice and when you think they should come off pick a rack up by the middle only. If the rack bends into a U shape with the ends pointing straight down they are done. If not cook a little more.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    3-1-1. Smoke them bone side down, 3 hours at 250 dome temp. Wrap them in aluminum foil add a 1/4 -1/2 cup of liquid, I like rootbeer, apple cider/juice. Put them meat side down in the foil and back on for 1 hour. Next part is crucial, open the foil packet, (careful, might be some steam) check some of the inner bones, make sure there is a good amount of bone showing. You want the meat to have shrunk, if you see a good amount of bone you should be good. Grab one of the middle bones and it should wiggle freely. A tooth pick inserted close to the middle should go through easily as well. Then back o to the grid for a hour to firm them up a little. Saucing the last hour, evey 15 to 20 minutes.

Ribs010.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg
  • bosco6672
    Options
    Wow, they look awesome!! Thanks for the reciepe. I will try what you suggested.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Thanks, but the pic does not go with the directions, Over the years I have gone from the "V" rack method to the bones done indirect way.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Richard,

I don't know how to do the quote thing but whaddya mean you're past the hot and spicy point in life. Nooooo!!
    This is what I have to look forward to? Arggghhh!!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Options
    I have to stop seasoning with the "HOT" good stuff for many of my friends, 'cause they are very senior citizens, but does not mean I can not add to the cook after they are served.
    We going fishing in March? Maybe catch a shark or 2 about 30 minutes from the house. Shark kabobs are great.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Richard,

Pat and I are gong and hopefully my oldest boy. Doesn't seem to be working out for other folks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Richard,, tentative plan is the Wednesday before the fest out of the port, just a day trip. You coming over Sunday??
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Steve you beat me by 1 second :angry: I guess I am getting old :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I don't like to foil, but suggest most people do until they get really comfortable with controlling temps.
    I also like to start very low and gradually bump up the temp throughout the cook.
    I will be really busy the next 2 days or I would open up the hotline for you. :woohoo:
    Good luck.

1231ribs011.jpg

Mike
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Bologna gets cookede soon, planning on 3 pm ish sun.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Pat,

Ya can't be that old buddy, you still want Bomba. Or is that for your much younger, beautiful wife?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Options
    Pat said for a case or 2???? of beer and a pound of worms I can go fishing with you folks. If that don't work we can party at Port Canaveral for the week until fri.

http://www.theredhead.biz/1.html
    great martinis.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dem are purty.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    These were 240 grate for six hours (but didn't cook to time - used the tong test). No foiling, flipping, swapping, moving around, or fondling :laugh:

IMG_3425800x600.jpg

Sauced for 20 minutes
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Beautiful, Frank. A whole lotta good eatin' in that pic.
  • safetyman
    Options
    Frank those ribs look great, what was your set up? It looks like you have your platesetter, legs down with a drip pan, then grate on drip pan and then a raised grid.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The platesetter is actually sitting on top of the grid. Why on top of the grid? It's in three pieces due to me putting it down a little roughly the other day - dumb shite. :( The shallow drip pan is on top of the platesetter and then two 22" grids that are bolted together are on top of the drip pan.