Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Thrideye - Last Minute Buckboard Questions

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are the temps on your site grid or dome temps.

You mention pepper and maple, are you injecting - what are you using and how are you applying/injecting.

Getting ready to light the egg for tenderloin.

GG

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I use dome temps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Richard.

This is going to be interesting as I haven't tried to vent control that low of temperature before. The ramp up temperature shouldn't be a problem.

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If you have any wind today, becareful it does not spike your temps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Cold & calm... but it is sunny for a little while.

It wasn't that hard keeping it at 180°.

GG
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    I made 14 pounds of bacon last weekend. I used my Digi-Q to keep the temp at 180*, worked like a charm. But I did make sure the pit temp was pretty stable before I plugged in the Digi-Q. I figure getting the pit stabilized is my job, not the Digi-Q's - I gotta have SOME purpose besides sitting around watching the glowing numbers and drinking beer ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Kent,

Most of my temps are actual (at the grate), but I have gotten pretty keen at calculating the difference between them and dome temps.

With Buckboard, the lower you can maintain the first couple of hours is the real flavor delivery time, so go with what you can. Actually with my technique, I'm in the cooker so often adding chips, the pit temp will get zapped on it's own anyways. Like Nils mentioned, a forced draft fan is nice, especially if you are doing several batches......Regardless of the temp, I think the critical thing is to be able to drop a few chips into the coals on a regular basis.

For the maple flavored Buckboard, I inject a 50:50 solution of good maple syrup and warm water about halfway through the rest period. (too early interferes with the equalization of liquids). Then, about a half hour before it comes off the cooker, I paint on a coat of pure maple syrup. (Richard, if you try this, use a sprinkle of that Maple sugar I sent on top of the syrup, it's a nice touch)
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I am close to done temperature now - within 8° (thermopen) and just over an hour has passed. I did end hooking up the DigiQII and clipped the probe on the dome. The pit temp has been at 180° to 200° the entire time.

Looking at the pictures on thrideyes site he has a nice brown 'sort of done' look on the tenderloins.

When I look at mine on the egg it still looks pinkish and it doesn't look like it is going to change much from that.

I have been able to drop a few more chips in the egg at the 45 minute mark.

I have cooked pork butt and tenderloin to 145° (with rub on it) and it as I recall the meat looked more done on those cooks.

My intentions are to pull at 145° in the thickest part of the loin's.

I am not sure if all is going as it should be.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Depending on your time and type of wood, you can get different colors. Tenderloins need the shortest cook time of all, so that may be the answer.

Sometimes my loins come out lighter than butts. These are about ready to come off.

dsc03553aaL.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The meat you get a hold of sure looks like a better cuts than I can get a hold of.

Depending on the evening I will get some pictures up later on tonight or worst case tomorrow.

I used cherry wood on the ones I just finished. Mine look pretty close to your pictures above, maybe a bit lighter.

Things sure smell good around here right now.

GG