Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grid

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just received my new 13" CI grid ordered from the local BGE retailer. I bought it to use for searing on my spider from "you know where".

I have a few questions about taking care of the grid, since I won't be using it for all my cooks. Do you guys that use one down close to the lump like this burn it off and then re-season it before storing for the next cook? Do you store it outside (like in the ole gassers that make good storage bins), or keep it inside to prevent rust?

Sorry for so many questions, but I don't have much experience with CI and yesterday when I picked up my Dutch oven off the pantry shelf, there was a big rusty spot on the plastic shelf liner and bottom of the DU. I had seasoned it well after the last use (so I thought).

Anyway, thanks for the responses.. :)

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I don't season my CI grid. but I do like to burn off the gunkies often.

I store it inside the Egg, where it lives, and seldom do a cook without it.

Enjoy!

~ Broc
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Just to be a little more clear ....

I have a large BGE, and this 13" grid is for using on the Spider, down by the lump, so I wouldn't think it would be left in all the time, just when searing steaks, etc. My concern was how to care for and store it in between using it for sears.

Thanks...
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have one for searing also. I have never seasoned it. I keep it on a shelf next to my egg. I live in south Florida close to the ocean and it gets a little rain on it from time to time. I'm not the best care taker but spray with olive oil after each use. When using it so close to the lump for a sear it burns off any seasoning any way.
    Good luck, Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    I keep it on the Spider in the Egg, ME. Haven't done anything to it.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I had thought about that. I don't see any reason it would be in the way or damaged by just leaving it in all the time, even when cooking on the regular or raised grids.
    Of course it would have to be removed when dealing with the lump, but I would think it should be easy to add wood chunks/chips around the edges of the spider during a cook (been waiting for this grid before using my spider).
  • DryFly
    Options
    Try throwing a wok on it, ME. You can really experiment with with super quick cooks. No matter what the protein it sears up quick in a wok. Get yourself a Chinese cookbook and kick it.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Definitely on my short list!
    Birthday coming up next month...Hmmmm
    Any suggestions on brand wok to purchase?
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Options
    I store mine on top of the porcelain on and then use the one I want during the cooking. It keeps everything in one place and out of the weather. I just brush off the booglies before use and let it preheat so it's hot enough to sterilize it as well as generate those nice sear marks.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Let it cool and the next day hit it with a shot of Pam - top and bottom. I store all my stuff in a big rubbermaid tote box.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    What Fidel said.
  • DryFly
    Options
    Check out WokShop.com. Any carbon steel wok should do it. It should be 12-14" and have those steel loop handles. Can probably get one at any department or restaurant supply store.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Fly.

Will check it out!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Fly,

Do you use round bottom Wok on the spyder, or flat bottom on a grid?

Also, what size Wok best fits in a large BGE?

That Wokshop.com site was a good reference---- Thanks!