Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Butt Help

jb1020jb1020 Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got about a 9.5 lb pork butt. I put it on right at 9 pm last night. the temp had settled right at 250. it stayed at 250 B) till about midnight. i figured i could rest easy. :side:

i get up at about 6am, the temp had dropped to about 220. (internal temp of the pork was 169). so i opened the draft door a tiny bit to try and get the temp back up before i left and i came back and checked it before heading to work and the temp was at aboput 190 :angry:

i took it off to check the coals, i thought i had enough, but decided to throw some more on there just in case. i had to leave for work, but i left the draft door open a little more than where it should be at 250. id rather it be too hot than too cold when i go check it in about 3 hours.

any suggestions? any idea what made the tempt drop so rapidly in about an hour this morning after holding steady for a 5-6 hour period last night?

thanks

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,009
    Most often, when I run into something like that, the fire has burnt straight down the middle of the lump pile. Also, I've had the bottom vents clog with ash. I keep a long rod at hand to stir around the sides, and push the lump into the center, and I've got a bent coat hanger to poke up thru the bottom vent to loosen ash piles.

Assuming you don't have a big clog, you may find the temp up around 275-300 at next check. Be prepared to stick a finished butt into a pre-warmed "cooler," to hold for dinner. I've had butts at 195+ stay above 140 for more than 5 hrs. when wrapped in HD foil and double towels in a cooler with a jug full of hot water.
  • jb1020jb1020 Posts: 41
    thanks, i think that was it actually. apparently adding some lump did the trick too.

11:30 got home and the dome was reading 250 on the dot. i took the internal temp and it was at 192.

it was looking good, thanks for the info.
  • jb1020jb1020 Posts: 41
    ok need an expert opinion.

got home from work and took the internal temp, it said 172. it was in the same place where it was reading 192 about 4 hours earlier.

the dome temp had died down to about 190.

is it ok to eat now? i would assume it got to 195 an has now just cooled?

need some expert advice, im a little worried/stressed
  • NilsNils Posts: 82
    You're good, and the Butt is too ;)

Safety zone is 140-150 degrees F - stay above that and food is safe.

Most of us remove the butts from fire and wrap in foil and then blankets/towels and store in cooler for 2-5 hours to pull later. I leave a thermometer in at least one of them with a remote monitor so I can monitor internal meat temperature. Just pull and eat/store it by 150 degrees.