Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PA dutch tonight

Options
lowercasebill
lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
no bottomlesss pits tonight, can make dinner just for me, on the mini

the raws

christmas116.jpg

forgot the egg shot so here is last nights ribeye

christmas113.jpg

dinner

christmas119.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    haven't had scrapple in years Bill. Simple is good and you got me craving it.
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    That's about as Dutch as you can get Bill :)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    belly full of scrapple happy face here
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    and i had sauerkraut saturday too
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    bill:

My memory isn't so great but are you from eastern Pa with the scrapple? And is that a westie in the photo?
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    We eat scrapple as a breakfast food with real maple syrup - is that KETCHUP on yours? :blink:
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Bill,
    Now i know how you stay so thin! :whistle:
    BC
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Scrapple and mush, hmmmmm, that's different. Never had either, can't even imagine what it might tasted like. What exactly is it?
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Anne,
    You can wait for Bill's official response, but, living on the fringe of Pennsylvania Dutch Country and eating that stuff on and off most of my life, I can tell you that you won't find it on the American Heart Assn's list of heart healthy foods. Think by-products of by-products. As they say..everything but the oink. :laugh: :woohoo: :lol:
    Brian
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    yes , i live in lansdale about 30 mile north of city hall older son is 84 muhlenberg grad and it is a long hiar jack russel dirty obnoxious and bossy little dog. :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    lots of folks use maple syrup and apple butter is traditional .. i how ever do not like sweet on meat and dad used to use ketchup . it is breakfast food here too.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    the scrapple and rib eye diet. :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    corn meal mush is polenta. make your own according to the polenta recipe for slicing not for serving like grits ,, cook your corn meal put it in a loaf pan to cool slice and fry.
    scrapple is the scraps from hog butchering, dad was a depression era child and was lucky when they could afford that. Pa germans are a frugal lot to say the least. according to my father.. the scraps from butchering were collected and washed in a lye bath to sanitize and remove the saw dust [butcher/slaughter places had saw dust on the floor to facilitate clean up.] after the wash it is mixed with lard and spices cooked and put in molds to cool. slice and fried. dad said it was not unusual to find bits of saw dust in it.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    and further, modern scrapple's main ingredient is cornmeal as well, it is essentially a corn meal mush flavored with various pork parts & whatnot, it yields one of the most interesting and unique flavors in all of food-dom, we cannot imagine life without scrapple :)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I was at the Ntl Apple festival in PA once and we saw scrapple getting made in a huge vat... :S

I will never eat scrapple after seeing that....it wasn't pretty :sick:
  • wasn't pretty??? a thing of beauty it is. :laugh: a ladle of fresh scrapple in a cup topped with hot apple butter staight from the kettle... i might have to have scrapple and cornmeal mush with eggs tonight!
  • bill, few pieces of crispy-fried scrapple, melted american cheese on top, into a toasted hoagie roll, just about one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten, rivals the cheesesteak, perhaps not in popularity but certainly in flavor, how'bout it? Marc
  • works for me i have lots of scapple at home .. will do that this week,... a cheese scapple with bacon????
  • EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    History
    SCRAPPLE: The Original "Brown 'n' Serve" Food!

More than 200 years ago--long before anyone thought of this clever name--mothers in Colonial America were "browning and serving" a pre-cooked product. Its name was--and still is--"scrapple".

Those lucky families were Dutch colonists who sailed from Holland in 17th and 18th centuries and settled along the Delaware River after clearing land and building log cabins in the majestic White Oak forests that then lined those lovely shores.

Scrapple is probably the first All American pork food. It was "invented" in Chester County, Pennsylvania's oldest settlement--and was the logical result of thriftiness and love of good eating that characterized Chester's early Dutch settlers.

The nourishing liquid and succulent meat bits that remained in the big iron kettle, after liverwurst and other pork products were prepared, could not be wasted. Cornmeal and spices were added, and the mixture was cooked, then jelled in loaf-shaped tins.

Some people confuse its name with the word , scraps, but scrapple was never made from scraps, i.e., defined as waste. At the time the name was given to the then new pork product. It meant small bits or pieces, left-overs or "remnants of value".

Scrapple tasted so good, was so easy to serve in so many different ways, that it soon became a favorite dish, growing in popularity as the country grew. Benjamin Franklin refers affectionately to Philadelphia's scrapple in his first writings. George Washington's cook was Pennsylvania Dutch, and the first President's fondness for scrapple lasted his life-time.

The colonists also liked scrapple's long "keeping" quality. This was important when automatic refrigerators--or even ice-boxes--were unheard of. To preserve food during the warm months the settlers built small "ice houses," sunk half-way into the cool ground. During the winter they cut blocks of ice from ponds, lakes, rivers and stored them under a thick layer of sawdust. Here they kept their perishable foods, hoping that the supply of ice would last through the summer.

Meats that were salt or smoke cured lasted longest. Scrapple was next on the list--adding a "fresh" tasting meat dish to the colonists', limited menus.

Habbersett, pride of the "Scrapple Capital," is made from the family's secret recipe, unchanged since the company's founding, more than 100 years ago. Even then, the hogs were prime, lean, mid-westerners. Habbersett's is real old-fashioned country scrapple, a generous blend nutritious flavored lean pork, stone ground whole wheat flour, highest quality cornmeal, salt and natural spices. It's still made on the same farmland where it originated. Only the people, buildings and techniques have changed, and they are among the industry's most efficient.

Scrapple is a savory mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour. The mush is formed into a loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then fried before serving.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 2 oz

Amount per Serving
    Calories 120 Calories from Fat 70
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 8g 12%
    Saturated Fat 15g 75%
    Cholesterol 30mg 10%
    Sodium 270mg 11%
    Total Carbohydrate 7g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 5g 10%
    Vitamin A15%
    Iron4%
    Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 60.0% Carbs 23.3%
    Protein 16.7%
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    bill - My grandfather who was born and is buried in Abbottstown PA (Adams County) is smiling down on these photos. He loved scrapple; however he spent much of his adult life in central Illinois, and I think he found it very hard to source. His other great love of the region was something he called Persian Delight which was stewed quinces. Now that I can vouch for as being tasty. :P

Roudy
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    The only thing better is . . .

haggis

:laugh: