Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging ribs and failure - it's part of the learning curve (long post)

Options
Stuckeydude from Oz
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
<p />Yeah that's right, I tried Egging a couple of slabs of baby backs today and they did not turn out good. For starters, it's been raining all week here, and today was no exception. Luckily, it didn't pour down too hard, but the ribs were thawing in the fridge so they were going on the Egg no matter what. The ribs were prepared with one covered with coarse Dizzy Dust, another prepared with Cat's recipe, and the last one was mustard-slathered and sprinkled with a generic home-made rub.[p]I used a NuTemp 701 with an inaccurate HD probe (which I will have replaced) to monitor the dome temp, with the plan to cook low and slow at 225F for about 5 hours on an indirect firebrick setup. I got the lump to about 250F, threw about 4 handfuls of soaked apple wood chips on the fire, and set everything up. The dome temp stayed in the low 100's for 10 minutes until I stupidly realised that the end of the probe was touching the meat. After I pulled the probe back several inches, the temp rapidly rose to about 330F, where it stayed at this temp for pretty much the rest of the cook. Bear in mind that this HD probe was off the mark by more than 10F (I can't remember whether it was the HD or standard probe that was over or under), so the difference might have been a lot greater at temps of over 300F.[p]I expected that at 330F, they'd be done in 3 to 4 hours. I took them off after 4 hours, even though the meat hadn't pulled back from the end of the bones enough, but at the time I thought that they'd just get too dry if I left them on for much longer. The verdict? They were all way too dry. I had also neglected to flip or rotate them, so they were pretty dark as well, even though I had a layer of firebricks and a drip pan underneath the raised grid. The whole thing was quite a disappointment. I'm putting this experience down to being part of the learning curve. They did have a nice smoke ring though, but I couldn't taste the apple wood flavour because the ribs were too overdone.[p]What have I learned today?[p]1. Rotate and flip the ribs - I believe that heat stored in the firebricks will also cook the bottom of the ribs
2. Try wrapping in foil for some part of the cook as a bit of a failsafe device, until I can gain more rib cooking experience and confidence
3. Cook lower and slower
4. Don't get too cocky - you're still on the beginner's learning curve :)[p]Oh, and to top off what has been a disastrous day, tonight my expensive titanium-framed reading glasses snapped in half.[p]Too bad the ribs didn't turn out any good, because they would've made for a damn good meal. Pictured are the plated ribs, potato salad, cornbread, and an ice cold bottle of sarsaparilla :)

Comments

• Stuckeydude from Oz
    Options
    three_slabs.jpg
    <p />Trying the pics again. How do you upload several pics in the one post?[p]Here are the ribs just before I took them off the Egg. You can see they're a bit on the dry side :)
  • Stuckeydude from Oz
    Options
    lunch_ribs_2.jpg
    <p />Here's everything plated up, ready to eat!
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    Sorry your ribs didn't turn out good.I cook mine dirrect on a raised grill at 250°flipping every 30 minutes.I don't go by time.I check the meat between the bones with a Thermapen and when the temp is 190° to 195° I take the off.Last weekend I cooked three slabs of baby backs and they were ready in 2 1/2 hours,sometime it takes three hours.Good luck and keep trying.
    Larry

[ul][li]Babby Back Ribs[/ul]
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,[p]I'm guessing you needed another 6 pack of them Sasparillas to gag those babys down. You should have been able to lower the temp by closing the vents.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    First that thermister is gonna give you more problems, get a thermocouple. Thermo pen is a good one and that company has others www.thermoworks.com
    second wont be the last time you mess up, ask your wife she will be able to list several things you are doing wrong now.