Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice BUTT!!!

Options
D'man
D'man Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today ... or actually last night (at 11:45pm), I started my second boston butt. I checked dome temp this am befor going to work. All was well at about 225*. When I came home for lunch meat temp had reached 198*, and dome temp 200*. I wrapped the butt in foil, closed all vents and went back to work. Upon arriving home at 4:30pm (it was an early day!), I unwrapped the butt and began the pulling process. The butt was a little fatty, but after removing what I could, I had some of the best pork I've ever had (and friends felt the same)![p]I want to thank everyone for there posts, suggestions, support recipes,and beeing there (just in case)![p]D'man

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    D'man, pulled pork is great on the BGE - if you are like me, you may have left overs - if you do, use your microwave, place the pulled pork in a plastic bag and nuke it at about 30% power - it comes out almost as good as it did the 1st time. I believe this re-heat method goes to JJ - we used it last night on our last bag of leftovers - absolutely great with cole slaw, BBQ sauce and baked beans.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Gfw,[p]We reheat PP in the microwave (the best use of the machine). Give this a try: Add a tablespoon of water in the bag, press out as much air as you can and seal. Microwave at 70% (you eat sooner :-)).[p]PS- Watch the bag so you don't blow it up :-}. If the bag gets full and stiff, lower your power. Letting it sit just makes it better.[p]Spin

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Spin, damn... now I'll have to do another pulled pork and make sure that it's large enough to have a few (lots of) leftovers so I can try your re-heating method -- BTW, thanks![p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Spin,
    here's a little I resort to with big groups. (150 to 300 people)You enevitably have to use something like a large commercial electric roaster to keep things warm. Add a 16 ounce can of coke, jolt or pepsi to the meat. Just pour it all over the top, put the lid back on and let it heat for an hour or more. It won't affect the taste, one iota! But, it will keep it from drying out and if there might be some tougher sections, the combination of the carbonated water and the phosphoric acid will tenderize the tough pieces. This works on smaller amounts, but you just have to cut back on the amount of the cola. Use Jolt or coke first. It seems to work better! (IMHO)[p]Dr. Chicken

• Spin
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]A vaguely recall a recipe that used Coke as the marinade. I was intrigued but never got around to making it. I did 19 straight years of demanding 24/7 on call and am glad that me and Jolt no longer need to be friends :).[p]My biggest rib cook was just shy of 50 lbs. Reheating for serving was definitely the most difficult part of the cook.
    Thanks for the advice.[p]Spin

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    D'man, I think it was Elder Ward who taught me that if you keep your egg temp at 200 for 20 hours or until the meat temp reaches 160, then kick open your damper and let the egg climb to 300 or better until your meat temp reaches 180, the visceral fat will break down. That's the way I do it and it is usually fat free by the time we go into the wolfing-down mode..

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coals, [p]Nah..we been doing that for some time now. Kinda general knowledge on the final push if pressed for time. Besides..this forum taught Elder all he knows..Well, almost..heeeee.
    At least it did teach Char-Woody all he knows...respectfully!
    C-W[p]

• Spin
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]The good things start to happen when the internal meat temp reaches 160-165F. This is when the collegen slowly breaks down. It has been offered that the meat itself is cooked to well done at this temperature and there is no real need to raise the internal temp further, just maintain the same internal temp for the purpose of tenderizing.[p]Cooking is a fun challenge,
    Spin

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Your right I learned as much here as everybody else. [p]Elder Ward

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    My buddy Guru of Grease and I have a ceramic image of you in the rose garden that we bow to each morning and evening.

• Elder Ward
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]That is too funny. You need a bunch more other than me. I am just a minor leaguer.[p]Elder Ward