Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

easter dinner (turkey breast) suggestions

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a 7.5 pound turkey breast on the medium egg for easter. How do I get that picture perfect skin coloring on the finished bird?[p]How do I prep the bird before going on the egg, temp, smoke/wood?, set up, drip pan, drip pan contents? Do I need to foil wrap the bird? At what temp should I pull the bird? Do I place the polder in the middle of the breast and how deep into the flesh?[p]I decided against brining since I have never tried it and am not prepared for possible negative effects.[p]Thanks for your input

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Banker John,
    Let me answer the last part of your post first....I don't think there are any negative effects from brining. You can over cook and still be moist, tender and flavorful.[p]Ok, dust your bird's boobie with Kosher salt, garlic, black pepper and olive oil (or butter). Use a mild wood, citrus is nice, as poultry takes on smoke easily. I use a V-rack on a foil covered pan, about 1" of water, no addditives. I throw the turkey breast on at 350° dome and cook APPROXIMATELY 12-15 minutes a pound, + or -. Put the polder in the thickest part of the breast without touching the breast bone and pull at 155°-160°. Let sit about fifteen minutes and carve. I don't use foil on the bird. To get a nice crisp, brown skin, let the breast sit in the fridge for a few hours without a cover.[p]ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE OPEN TO INTERPRETATION, and many q'ers have their own way. This is mine without the brine.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    turkeybreast.jpg
    <p />Banker John,
    Rumrunner said it best. As he pointed out, poultry takes on a lot of smoke so be careful in that aspect. You will have a great cooked bird.[p]CWM

• Banker John
    Options
    RumRunner,[p]I thank you for the welcomed advice. I followed your system. Rubbed with olive oil, then rubbed with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder & sprinkled with parsley flakes.[p]I lit the egg this morning at 8:00 before leaving for church and guessed at the vent openings for 350*. God was in my corner this morning... Returned from church and 347 was the dome temp. The bird has been on now for 10 minutes. [p]MMMmmmm can't wait. In laws have already made comments about how eggcited they are. They were VERY impressed with the Baby Backs (Thanks JSlot) done on Friday night and Pizza (thanks RRP) from last night.[p]This fine turkey dinner is in memory of our Risen Lord Jesus Christ. [p]Banker John <><
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Banker John,
    Good luck!! Just took mine off at 158° and is 'resting' now. Took 1 1/2 hrs for a 5 1/2 pounder. Looks great and will post a pic later if old Canon has a breath left in it. New one comes this week......:)

• Banker John
    Options
    rumrunner,
    My turkey is at 127 internal and climbing. I'm guessing about 25 more minutes to 156 then pull it.[p]I put apple juice in the drip pan and two chunks of apple wood. ALL the neighbors have walked through my backyard, drawn to the smell of the egg. It's like Pavlov's dog! I love it![p]I basted the turkey with the drippings into the apple juice. Boy oh boy... the inlaws are in for a treat!!![p]Banker John