Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking some thighs today. Trying method from "The Smoke Ring". Lo and slow at about 220 dome temp. for 4 hours is what they did, but wasn't on an Egg. In an hour, I'm over halfway done according to my polder. Cooking indirect with fire bricks on edge and drip pan. Anybody tried this before?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    rock,
    Don't know about low and slow... but I've got serious questions about 4 hours at 220°, even with meaty thighs. In my grilling experience, boned skin-on thighs will cook in less than 10 minutes at 350° direct.[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke,
    Thanks for comment. I'm just trying this. Thighs look good when turned. About another half hour to an hour i'd say. At 150 now with polder after almost 2 hours.

• Rock, are they browning up at that temperature? Did you apply any kind of seasoning? If so, what? Thx.

• Q-lover,
    They are actually browning a little. Started skin side down and flipped about 3/4 way thru. Temp internal now is 158 at 4:20pm..almost 3 hours. They look good. Marinaded over nite in Dales, honey, and BBQ sauce...1/3 each. Sprinkled with dry rub this morning from Sauce and Spice. Will let you know how they turn out.

• Q-lover,
    Pulled off at 3 hrs. 40 min. Oh my lord. melt in your mouth. Flipped and basted a couple times during process. At end, last half hour, put skin side down again and raised temp on dome to 360. Absolutely great.