Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Screen Porch Grilling

GreenEggs&Ham
GreenEggs&Ham Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Think it unwise to do a low-n-slow on the back porch? How about grilling steaks and such at higher temperatures? It's about 15' by 30', totally screened, lighted, got a roof, attached to the house. I've grilled in a weber on the back porch of an apartment I rented long ago, but the ceiling was the upstairs porch's concrete floor. Just concerned about safety. Any experience in the forum?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    GreenEggsHam,[p]I do all my cooking on my decks. Now and then a spark will fly out of the vent and put a black spot on the wood. That has not happened for the last 10 months - not sure why but I am happy about it. Wetting the wood around the cooker with some water works for me, others use a fireproof mat (too windy here to make them stay put). I have a closed porch that is about 15X12 with an 8' ceiling that I grill on all the time with my small. I have never worried about it for a moment. GFW does all his cooking on his screened porch. [p]I have seen many homes (being in real estate) that have had the owners melt the vinyl siding with their gas grills. They move them right up next to the vinyl siding and fire them up - the heat rolls out the ends and warps the siding (or melts it in some extreme cases). Use common sense and don't leave it unattended if you have the chimney cap off as the temps can go to 1000°+ easily. [p]
    Tim

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    GreenEggsHam,[p]For the two + years I have had my BGE, it has resided on (in) my enclosed screed porch. The floor is concrete, the roof is aluminum and is screened in on three sides. The forth side is da house.[p]No problems. Do heavy smoke, lo 'n slo, and turbo steaks.[p]Use common sense and you won't have any problems.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    GreenEggsHam, two of my cookers are on my screen porch and the onll draw back is that there is a degree of grease that gets on the ceiling. I have a fan on my porch with two opening skylights. If there is not a breeze, I turn the fan on and open up the skylights.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    GreenEggsHam,[p]My egg has been on our front porch since we got it about 10 months ago. I always grill/smoke out there. Course the sides are all screened in and the ceiling is about 8 feet high. I live in an old stucco Victorian, the floor of the porch is cement, and the walls covering one side of that porch are all stucco. I haven't really noticed any build up of soot or grease on the ceiling, probably because I pretty much have a steady breeze comin my way from over Mount Monadnock, which whisks the smoke away right quick.[p]StumpBaby

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    StumpBaby,
    there used to be a website that showed some fellows charred house cuz he left the vent wide open on his bge.

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    GreenEggsHam,
    I used to have my egg on my screened porch. I had used the BGE this way for close to 6 months. No longer. [p]I had really started to notice discoloration of the ceiling, walls and eves - all from the smoke. I tend to use a hunk of wood on almost every cook.[p]Now, the egg resides in the back yard. I love it there (and the wife does too). Now my only challenge is having a polder with some type of a beeper that I can wear on my belt so I will know when my cook is complete.[p]Is there such a polder/polder clone out there with a beeper type remote?