Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. Is home made horseradish better?

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I understand that homemade horseradish is way better then prepared, has anyone made there own and what is you opinion???

I have looked at many ways to make it but is it better???

Cheers,

Bordello

Comments

• GrillDaddy
    Options
    Another question, Were do can you purchase horseradish?
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I made my own years ago, but it's alot of work (mostly digging and then cleaning the roots) and time consuming to grind it all the right consistency. I don't believe what I made was any better than what's available at the grocery. My 2cts. Mark
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My father, who will spread horseradish 1/4" thick on a slab of ham, used to make it along with his father when he was a kid. The way he described it, it made crying while chopping onions seem like fun. So, I'd have to think that the pungency might be off the charts. I can remember my dad and uncles eating fresh horseradish at my aunt's. They'd sit there, red faced, tearing, and laughing about how well it cleared the sinuses. :)
  • About twenty years ago my neighbor gave me some home grown homemade horseradish because I told him how much I liked horseradish. I can remember how much it hurt my sinuses and made my eyes water to this day.

There is no comparison between store bought and fresh homemade in my opinion. It's like the difference between a jalapeno and a habanero.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I concur. My Mom talked about how my grandfather would grind horseradish with his brother while both of them sat and cried while trying to see who could eat the most.
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    Years ago I went to Collinsville, IL. One of the mass producers of Horseradish and bought some roots home.
    Chopped, mixed it with vinegar and sugar in a blender and away we went. Just REMEMBER to push the top on the blender. ! ! ! :evil:
    I was crying and scrubbing the walls of my kitchen for hours. With my wife yelling, :the store bought is better”!!! :woohoo:

So, be careful!
  • Bordello
    Options
    That's funny.

Everything I've read tells me to make it outdoors.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Mrs. Taz
    Options
    I have made it before. It is especially good after a really hot summer. It tends to make the horseradish hotter. I think the end prodect is worth the work. Growing your own is definately better than buying the root in the stores and making it.
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    It is better, and yes grind it outside. It's definately a good way to clean out your sinuses. We always put some vinegar with it.

It's also a weed, if you grow it, put a barrier around how big of a spot you want it to grow. Or in a container. One bad tilling and you'll have it all over.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    in my opinion it is .. i grow my own and grate it with
    this
    it is a bit time consuming but unless you use a lot you end up using old store bought or throwing a lot away. try grating a garlic in with it, or leave out the vinegar and simmer with cream for a horseradish cream sauce for beef. i also put some death pepper in some for jl,, he likes it but...
    as far as old time storys.. when i was six we used to stop by an old german deli and when they were grinding horseradish they would use a fan to blow the fumes into the store away from the grinder, dad would put his face up to it and then tear and cough and his nose would run... he held me up in front of the fan,, i though my face was going to peel off and i would die... mom was SO pissed at him...... his answer,,"it's good for the boy it will clean out his sinuses.. 51 years ago and i still remember
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    GrillDaddy, I can find horseradish at my local grocery store. Safeway or Krogers down here.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Isn't it strange what little it takes to entertain us at times?
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    For me I do no think that it is worth all of the extra effort to make.You usually only use a small quantity of it to begin with and if you make more it has a relatively short shelf life. Check out vendors that sell grated coconut in a local produce market and you will find out that they will do horse radish as well or can refer you to some one that does.Last choice is to double check the date code because you can often find a six to eight month difference on the bottles.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    used to grow it in WYO--very invasive in garden
    very hard to harvest--used axe :ohmy:
    very strong and extremely delicious :woohoo: but sure makes a gal cry when processing in the blender
    found a root at Albertson's and made some to go with Prime Rib as a coating and topping hmmmmmm goooood
  • belle's dad
    Options
    I haven't made my own for years, but, it definately better homemade. While grinding, be prepared to cry alot. That stuff really gets to me. I was going to tell you a good brand of HR, but, the the label is off the bottle. Have fun grinding those roots, it's an experience.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    I grind my own a couple times a year. It's stronger and cleaner taste when you make your own. Also, no chemicals added ;)

I usually use the shredding disk of my food processor first, and leave the lid on the bowl until I'm under the exhaust fan (I have a pretty strong fan). I then move it to a blender, add some vinegar, sugar, and water to the consistency I want, and blend away till it's smooth. Open under the exhaust again, and pack in jars. Heat dissipates pretty quickly. I'd say that by day 3 it's like store bought.
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Options
    There is noting better than to spread some horse radish on a prime rib---ummmmm good! Eating in a new dimension! The food processor does a great job of grinding the horse radish. I don't have a recipe, but I watched my daughter grind it and she didn't shed a tear!! Shore was good.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thank you for all of the rplies. Good info, I'm going to give it a try. :whistle:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    are ya goin' to OCK Bordello Buddy? B)
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    GrillDaddy wrote:
    Another question, Were do can you purchase horseradish?

I bought some today at Walmart.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Yes, it's better, and it's worth the trouble.

You can grind the peeled root with power tools or, if a small quantity, a Microplane zester. Add a tablespoon to sour cream or whipped heavy cream for something to go on fatty meats like prime rib. Use maybe half as much homemade as you typically use of the bottled prepared sauce.

Horseradish root is common at groceries with large produce sections. It's inexpensive and will last for a week or so in the produce drawer of your refrigerator. The finer you grind it, the stronger the flavor.
  • Absolutely
    Options
    I don't think it could be made any better than the Swan off California in San Francisco.