Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork shoulder timing?

Options
jld
jld Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering if anyone can ballpark a finishing time for me... I'm working on my first pork shoulder. It's 4.8 lb in at 250* indirect. Currently it's at 144* internal temp, and I'm planning on taking off at 195*. Can anyone ball park about how much longer it'll take?

Thanks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you will proabably hit a "plateau" and that is when all the magic happens... they usually hit the plateau around 160 or so.. they can last awhile and it changes from one piece of meat to another..

if you are pressed for time i would foil it and raise your temp to 350.. your shoulder will still be good..

but there are too many factors to be able to tell what time it is done.. so sorry i can't answer your question but i hope i helped some ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jld
    Options
    Thanks. It's been in about 5.5 hours so far. I'm hoping I can eat around 7:30 with a bit for it to rest in the cooler. It's 3:15 now.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i would foil it then... the rest in the cooler is almost as important as what kind of smoke you use

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    I'd guess it'll be done around 1:37:42 AM AST, nope make that 1:37:46 AM AST. What do I win if I'm right?
  • jld
    Options
    So the extra heat speeds things up and the foil keeps it from drying out?
  • jld
    Options
    I'll fedex you a ziplock of PP?