Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket sucess?

Options
asianflava
asianflava Posts: 313
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my XL since Sept. I've done a few pork butts but this was my first brisket. I was kinda roped into doing it. The guys at work wanted to do a potluck and decided that I should smoke a brisket.

I bought an untrimmed brisket from the butcher about 7 lbs (the smallest one he had). The day before I put it on, I patted it dry, put some olive oil on it, and sprinkled a rub that I got from The Saltlick in TX.

I woke up early (about 12:30 in the afternoon) and started the egg with a few chunks of mesquite. I actually put it on the egg around 1:00. I use a plate setter with a drip pan to so that my plate setter doesn't get yucky.

Right before I left for work (around 5:00), I took it off and wrapped it in foil with some beef broth. I left it on the egg at 250. Around 11:30 I ran back home, took it off the egg and brought it to work. I checked the temp and it was around 190. Timing was perfect for our midnight "lunch".

The brisket had a good flavor, and was fall apart tender. I don't know if I'd call it a total success though. I was shooting for Texas BBQ but it was too tender to slice.

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    If it fell apart to much for you , I would say you left it wrapped in foil way too long with the beef broth. Im no expert at brisket. Some of the others will chime in.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep... Like Rolling Egg said, you steamed it. Makes for a good brisket but too tender IMO. Try this site for your brisket needs.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

If you have any left you might want to try slicing it a little thicker. Might not crumble that way.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Rolling Egg is correct, you only need to foil it for an hour, maybe even 45 minutes for one that small. Then open the foil or remove it according to your preference until it reaches 190-195°. But you're off to a good start..

Spring "Most Of What I Know I Learned On The Forum" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • asianflava
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will probably try another one a few weeks from now. My wife was kind of mad that she didn't get to try this one. I'll take some of your suggestions and try them out.

I wasn't going to foil it at all, but I was concerned that it'd dry out, with it being so small and having to stay on the egg so long. What especially made me concerned was that I was serving it to other people.

A few of the guys I work with have also lived in Austin. I figured that they knew what a "Texas style" brisket should be like.