Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider & Adustable Rig-Ceramic grill store

Options
Idahoegger
Idahoegger Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone here use the spider or other pieces from the ceramic grill store. Looking for other alternatives for indirect cooking beside just using the platesetter. I am thinking the spider with a pizza stone or even a pan may work better. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Doesn't work any better or any worse. What does do is give you more options.

IMG_8055-033.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    All of Tom's stuff is top quality, I use mine all the time. Get the 14" drip pan also.

It doesnt look like this anymore :laugh:

100_1815.jpg
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    I have to disagree with CW, most respectfully. I have the Woo2 for my large along with the spider, CGS extender, 14" BGE pizza stone and 14" drip pan from CGS. When you remove the Plate Setter from your Egg the cooking grate gets down real close to the lump, too close IMHO. With the Woo2 and pizza stone all you have to do is remove the stone to go from indirect to direct cooking, the Woo2 remains and keeps your cook surface up at felt level. The spider is great and the extender is far superior the BGE extender which is actually kind of cheesy. I think Tom's stuff makes your Egg much more versatile, and most of it is stainless steel. I put my PS back in the box after I received CGS equipment and it hasn't come out. I don't cook for large crowds so I doubt if the Adjustable Rig is in my future but that is extremely versatile. I also replaced the 18" porcelain grid with the stainless one from CGS.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    That fine,but for one point you seemed to have missed.

Look at the title of this thread.

The Adjustable rig gets you up over the felt. Look at my picture and you will see that the bottom grate is not sitting on the fire ring. It is above the fire ring and you can put it at any level as you want.

So my statement that the adjustable rig with the spider is no better or no worse for indirect cooking then just the plate setter is still stands. The adjustable rig does give you more options. The spider even more.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    You have a point but the text of the post asks for opinions and suggestions as to other options to the plate setter. That was the point I was addressing, but rather inartfully. I do see your point however,CW.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Pitmeister...

Highly recomend tjv's products. Well thought out and well made.

I picked up the adjustable rig & spider and use both on 99% of my egg'n. Using both right now cooking some ribs.

I love the spider for my drip pan and for indirect cooking. Also, the spider is a great way to use cast iron cookware. I use the spider normal position for searing then invert for cooking.

All below were cooked on the egg using the adjustable rig, spider or both.

I also, picked up some of the extra grates and the wok along with my order.

Both are a great addition to the large.

chick500.jpg

steak2.jpg

steak3.jpg

beefrib3done.jpg

turkey0812.jpg

pizza.jpg

chili1.jpg

doroast3.jpg

blackncatntrout.jpg

primerib.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

GG
  • Idahoegger
    Options
    My thinking is there should be more room between the platesetter and the grid. If i understand correctly the spider drops down inside the fire ring and inch or so. I could use a pizza stone and the CGS extender to bring the gris up to the felt line. I just don't like the platesetter and the small space between it and the grid.
  • Idahoegger
    Options
    Those are some great pics. While I do believe the egg is far more superior than other cookers I think more careful innovation as to the accessories should have been taken. Not a big fan of the BGE accessories.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Every time I see that Cioppino photo, I swear to myself I'm going to cook that soon. Hve you changed the recipe much from what I have?

Grandpas Grub Cioppino.

Cioppino:
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 large green pepper, diced
    1/3 cup parsley, chopped
    ¼ cup olive oil

In a soup pot, sauté the vegetables in the oil until soft

1 8-oz. Can tomato sauce
    3 14-½ oz. Can cut and peeled tomatoes
    1 cup water
    10oz. Tomato juice
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. Dried basil
    ½ tsp. Dried oregano
    1 tsp Parsley

Add to the pot. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. If not served immediately, cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

12 clams, well scrubbed (24 is better)
    1 lb. Medium shrimp – (2 pounds is better), shelled and cleaned (I use cooked and cleaned)
    1 large Dungeness crab, cleaned and broken into pieces
    1 pound of imitation crab (works great – use 2 if you don’t want to use the whole crab)

bring soup back to a simmer. Add seafood and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until clams open and shrimp turn pink. (If using cooked shrimp – wait until clams begin to open than add shrimp).

Notes:
    If using imitation crab get some legs for looks and the stock
    Feel free to vary the seafood to what is in season.

Note: I have never cooked this on the egg, I am wondering how the smoke will change the flavor also the change if using flvor wood. Egg cooking is a next few days project.

I hope whoever tries this enjoys it as much as I do.

Kent
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    I think I've only used my spider once. I guess I just never cook anything that needs it. Love the adjustable rig. I also got a extender for that.

His website is awesome, very informative.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Mike,

It is as I first cooked it. Very simple/basic. One can easily change up the fish but that is the way I like it.

I will sometimes add more crab. If clam's are expensive I might use canned. If the shrimp is pre-cooked I will add it at the very last moment. Long cooking of the shrimp will make it tough.

Kent