Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Ham

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok.....I've had my large egg for about a month now, and I'm LOVING it. By the way, thanks to everyone who replied to my first post regarding my new egg and what accessoies to get first, also, what the best lump brands were. That was posted under my given name, Tim Lyons, but I'll go by Timahh from now on, since that's what everyone calls me, (Thanks to South Park).
Anyway, enough rambling. I'm gonna try and smoke an 8lb. Honey spiral ham over the weekend for Easter din din. I've got my ham, my rack, and my drip pan ready to go. I still haven't, however, got a hold of a Polder thermometer. Is this an absolute must in preparing my swine. If not, can anybody give me some quick how to's for doing it up right. I did print off a recipe from the recipe link here for Brant's Boston Butt, sounds delish. Any other suggestions, however, are more than welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Timahhh,
    With a spiral cut ham, one suggestion I would make is to tie it up real good with some cooking string so it stays together while cooking. You run the chance of drying out parts of it if it were to spread open.[p]Wess

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Timahhh,
    Using a tip I got from this forum a while ago, to prevent the slices from drying out, I put the ham on the grill indirect with the cut side down. Gravity then holds the slices together. I went a bit further and placed the cut side on a "bowl" of foil with sides of about 1". Worked great with lots of smoking wood.
    I've got one in the fridge waiting for the weekend!
    Janet[p]