Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question/New Toys Comming

Options
batt
batt Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Egg for about a year now, I broke down and
orders some toys tonight. Im getting a adjustable rig and a spider from ceramicgrills.com, and a Stoker from Rocksbbq. I am working with a friend of mine that owns a bar that also serves lunches during the day. We are planning a brisket day at the bar and I will need two to four briskets once a week, Maybe more if pans out. How many briskets can you squeeze in to a large bge. I know that the Stoker can control several smokers. If I add a second egg, should I go with the Lge or Xl.

Comments

• UnConundrum
    Options
    I think you'll be hard pressed to get more than one packer cut on a large. I don't have an x-large, so I can't advise you there. BTW, if you're cooking for a restaurant, I love the whole chuck rolls from Sam's. I've had them as big as 26 pounds, and there's far less waste/trimmings than on a brisket. Some Red Eye Express and you're in business :)

As to the stoker, one unit can easily monitor many probes, but there's a power issue with many fans. I'm pretty sure 2's the limit. If you suck the power down with the fans, you can affect the accuracy of the probes. Check with John, he could advise you better.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    With the adjustable rig and an additional large grid you should be able to get 3 packers of 14-16 pounds or so on the large egg. One on the grid at the fire ring level, one on the middle setting of the rig, and one on a grid on top of the rig.
  • batt
    Options
    Hmmm, I thought I might be able to get two packers, one upper and one lower With the adustable rig. I really like the chuck roll idea. I will get one and try it, I will be a good test for the Stoker. Hows does the flavor and texture of a chuck roll compare with a brisket?
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    I find them to be very tasty, more moist than a brisket, and more fault tolerant. I trim them pretty well between the muscles, and then tie them with butcher's twine, to hold it together. I do them at 240 grid and they take about 14 hours for a small one (17 pounds or so). I like to pull them at about 175 for slicing. I'd go hotter for pulled beef, but they are great sliced.

I use my stoker to graph my chucks. You can find the graph for last night's chuck HERE
  • batt
    Options
    Thanks for the info Fidel. That would be perfect. One more question. If I have the adjustable rig sitting atop the fire ring, that would rule out using the platesetter for the indirect piece. So I am think you would have to use a smaller diameter pizza stone on the spider and a drip pan pretty close to the lump. I will have to research a bit more on the Ceramic Gill site.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That is exactly how it works. Pizza stone with a drip pan on the spider under the grid. You can't use the plate setter with the rig.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You are reading my mind about chuck rolls. They are a better value in my mind too, especially in this bar situation. They are easier to cook and I think they hold better and reheat better than briskets. And you can cut them to any size to match your cook time.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery