Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg detonation

olblue
olblue Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had my first POOF. I lit the by putting a fire starter under the grate and nothing happened. I split one in half and put a piece on top the charcoal on each side. 15 minutes later 600 degrees. I shut everything down until the temp guage hit 500. I opened the top just a couple inches to look for hot coals and I heard but did not see the POOF. Fortunately I was not actually close to the egg with my eyes. The only loss was the hair on the back of my hand.

Comments

• ol-blue,[p]I'm a newbie ... what's a POOF?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Hank Bumgardner,
    When the fire is very hot, and all of the coals are burning, the egg becomes a bit unpredictable. The large fire requires a lot of oxygen, and when you open the egg, the oxygen level to the fire is increased greatly. All of the coals that are burning, suddenly burn hotter......and WHOOOOOOSH!! or POOF!![p]Flames roll out pretty good, and can give you a new hairdo if your face is too close. It is particularly volitile if you have a hot fire, and close down the vents for even a short a period of time, thus starving the fire of oxygen. Opening the lid of humpty, without first opening the top vent, then the bottom vent, will almost surely result in a POOF![p]May the force be with you.
    (actually not too bad once you know what to look for)
    And if you are like Bob, you can play games with the wife.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Hank Bumgardner,
    See the movie BACK DRAFT ! Thats it in a smaller version. I you got eyebrows and hair on your arm your not a vetran yet. We've all done it. That ball of fire will chase you off the deck. [p]MAC

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    ol-blue, Yup...tis "Poof the magic dragon" all over again. As they explained, tis a hot fire that is hungry for oxygen, and when you open the dome, you feed it. And it leaps for more Oxy! So feed the hungry fire by opening the dome top cap fully and the bottom vent fully, and waffle the dome top carefully a half to full inch..up and down till you see flame in the pit again.
    Usually works..but still take care and slowly raise the dome. Long sleeve leather gloves come in handy..I noted that Coleman Products has a nice one now..I picked one up.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    ol-blue,
    I have sat back and laughed when forum members like C~W, Spin, Tim M and especially KOC did the same thing! They know better! Then (I hate to admit it!) last night, I'm standin' next to da Egg and it's a going bout 700 degrees, I'm talkin' with my son and I'm ready to start our KC strips. I grabed the handle and opened the dome and PRESTO!!! No hair on my right arm from the wrist to the arm pit! WOW! What an "opener"!! I couldn't have done better if I'd have tried! And I KNEW BETTER!![p]I guess it has to happen to everyone at least once![p]Dr. Chicken (wid egg on his face!) :^))

• Char-Woody
    Dr. Chicken, It's a Eggsperience all right. The ceramic cookers are great teachers and require that the users pay attention in class. :-)
    Sorry to hear your feather's got singed tonight..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Char-Woody,
    Nope! It was last night! I'm lickin' my wounds tonite! I had it coming, believe me! After laughing at all you "crazies", knowing you "knew better" for months, it only took a moment of not thinkin' and WHOOSH! Singe-ville! The day the teacher talked about that Poof or Whoosh, I musta been shootin' spit balls! Serves me right![p]Squeaky Clean on The Rightside...Dr. Chicken :^))

• Char-Woody
    Dr. Chicken, gives a new meaning to "baptism of fire" ? :-][p]