Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in the rain

Options
Stuckeydude from Oz
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 3 beautiful slabs of baby backs thawing in the fridge for a cook on Saturday. I plan on preparing them three different ways - the sexiest slab gets the Dizzy Dust treatment, the next most attractive slab gets the Cat's rub go-over, and the ugly ducking slab will get a mustard coating with a generic homemade rub. However, it looks like the weather forecast over here is gonna be showers for the next week. I believe someone posted a pic of some kind of foil tent to place over the top vent when it's raining. Anyone else got any cheap suggestions for Egging in the rain (I don't want to buy something just for this). Thanks :)

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    I just put a big golf umbrella over it. I sort of wedged the handle of the umbrella in the handle of the egg and let the umbrella tip back so it was over the egg. Needless to say this only works in winds of about 2 mph or less![p]Option 2 was I just pushed my table with big umbrella over to the egg. The big umbrella was big enough to reach over the egg.[p]Option 3 is you take a big can (like the 2.5 pound coffee cans) and you punch holes in the sides of the can and place the can over the chimney. [p]Option 4 is don't worry about it if it is not a heavy rain.[p]For me, I'm beginning to think option 2 is best.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    i mounted a patio umbrella on my table just for me, the grill dosent give a flip about the rain.

• Stuckeydude from Oz,
    surely even down under you can buy a sheet metal stack vent cover made for roof vents. They have a 6" ring which will sit over your dome and then has a cone shaped "roof" to divert rain. Only caution when in use they get extremely hot. I'm used mine in horrible downpours.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,[p]I would choose the "just do nothing" route. If you are cooking ribs then it will be a low/slow, which means that you will barely have the top vent open to begin with. I've ran low and slow in a downpour before, with the slide daisy open just a hare for temp control, and it didn't bother things a bit. Checking the stuff and taking it off the egg is a different story but I dont see a need to put anything over the egg, the few drops that make it through the top opening is not going to hurt a thing. Just my two pennies.[p]Troy
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,[p]Have your spouse stand over it with an enormous golf-size umbrella. I'm going to suggest that to mine next time I find myself in this predicament. Do you think they will go for it?[p]mShark
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,[p]Here is one cheap setup. All that's required is a flimsy chair, a cheap umbrella, a drunken younger brother, and some duct tape. As a special bonus, click on the image to see what must have been one of the biggest beer games in the history of beer games![p]rob1_small.jpg[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Cornfed writes:
    "...click on the image to see what must have been one of the biggest beer games in the history of beer games!"[p]Ah, yes... Dave, up here we call that 'Canadian Solitaire'! lol
    Qfan

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Rain%20or%20ShineMVC-008S.JPG
    <p />Stuckeydude from Oz,
    $18.95, Wal-Mart.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    lots of complicated solutions presented so far. . .a couple of weeks ago when i was doing my overnight brisket, we had driving rain, then wet snow. . .my solution was to take a square of aluminum foil, folded over a couple of times, wrapped one end around the daisy wheel handle, and mold the piece up and over the daisy wheel itself, leaving about a 2 - 3 inch gap above the wheel. . .left plenty of room for the natural draft, didn't let any rain or snow down the chimney and the dome temp was a steady 240 all night long. . .the walls of the egg stayed cool the whole time, but it didn't seem to affect what was going on inside at all.. ..of course, everytime i had to go outside and check on things, i got cold soaked, but better me than the brisket. . .

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    Stuckeydude from Oz,
    Not my picture but this is what i use, less than $3 from Home depot. But don't remove from egg with bare hand this thing's HOT
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2002/messages/46738.htm[p]dublin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]That is too funny. I played a game that was nearly that size when I was a senior at Lehigh. If I recall correctly, we used most of a quarter keg of beer. I was a different man by the end of that game...[p]Cornfed
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Mollyshark,
    Sure! And in the meantime check to see if your piggy's wings have sprouted... :-)[p]Ken