Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smallest brisket

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's the smallest brisket you all have cooked? I'd like to do my first brisket this weekend, but will have somewhat of a short window within which to cook it--plus, as I have now learned, it's more challenging to fit a 12 lb brisket on a Medium. I'm thinking that smaller will cook faster, but I'm sure that the relationship between cooking time and weight is not linear due to the plateau.[p]Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking I'd ideally like about an 8-hour cook. What size brisket should I look for? Is there a "don't go smaller than ____" rule on a brisket?[p]Okay, I admit, I'm a bit nervous about leaving the Egg at 225 and going to sleep, especially since I don't have one of those fancy remote thermometer alarm clock deals. There, I said it.[p]Thanks![p]TRex (still brisket-ignorant)

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    TRex,[p]Go with a 4-6 lb. brisket flat. That should fit your cooking time. Cook at ~275° indirect. Bring the meat to 190-195° internal and then wrap in foil and put it in the oven or a cooler for about an hour. You will love the results![p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    TRex,[p]I agree with JSlot. I've cooked a few small briskets in the last couple of weeks on my medium, mostly in the 2.5 pound range (for the same reasons you alluded to). They typically took around 2 hours per pound, but I would always use a polder if you've got one to make sure it hits at least 190-195 before you pull it, and wrap it foil to rest. I did a 2.5 pounder on Sunday, and it took about 5.5 hours to hit 195, then I pulled it, and let it rest half an hour in foil. It was very good. I've never cooked a brisket bigger than 4 pounds, so I don't know how this compares to larger cooks. [p]I think the key is knowing roughly how long per pound, to get a rough idea on when to put it on..but then to use a polder type thermo to really know when you've hit the right temp. There seems to be a short window between done just right, and havin yourself a roofin shingle, least that's what I've noticed...but then I've also noticed that the small briskets I've gotten, has had very little fat cap, which I'm sure doesn't help.[p]
    StumpBaby

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Good point about the fat cap, Stump. The pre-cut flats in the store are usually trimmed pretty close. I usually buy the whole brisket at Walmart and then cut the flat portion off. These have a really nice fat cap and they are much less expensive. Currently, I think the store-cut flat is $1.89/lb. and the whole brisket is $1.18/lb. here in SC. I usually separate the flat from the point to cook anyway, since the flat is usually done and hour or so ahead of the point.[p]Jim
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    JSlot,[p]That's what I was thinking about doing - buying a market-trimmed with fat cap and just cutting the flat off and cooking it by itself.[p]Thanks Slot and Stump for the advice![p]TRex
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    TRex,
    I usually do, ("usually", I've done 3) 5 to 7 pound flat in my Medium. I cover with my favorite rub then cover the top with thick sliced pepper bacon (regular store-bought). Put more rub on the bacon. Bacon fat helps keep the brisket moist and doesn't seem to affect the flavor. Stabalize Egg at about 250 and it will take eight hours or more to reach 200 internal which is my favorite temp. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes before slicing. This is a great cut of meat![p]Have fun!