Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll: Preferred way to light the Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I never used starters. Used electric but they don't last that long. Tried alcohol a few times didn't seem to work well. Did the oil and napkin for a while and it worked fine then one night wasn't watching it and had a very late dinner. So now using a weed burner.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy!
    Not read the other responses. IMO the easiest way to light a fire is with a starter cube. Light it, set it in, and wait.

I also use the Mapp torch, but you have to stand there and hold it for a while, and the sparks (especially with moist lump) can be problematic (ie: burn holes in your clothes, shoot into your eye...happened to me).

I never really understood why folks use electric.

So my theory....cubes are easier and safer.

Happy lighting!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Clark!
    So you are on your 10th electric starter and you still use them? Do you buy them by the case now?

Sounds like it might be time, like you said, to move on!
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Weed burner, using mostly MAPP, but sometimes propane
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    I have been using alcohol (91%). It seems to work really well for me. I might give the Mapp a try though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    weedburner is the quickest, when the egg was on the porch i used to just shovel a little anthrasite nut coal from the stove into it, pretty sure im the only one here thats ever lit an egg with coal. i prefer the weedburner and have a 40 pound bottle sitting there for my big open burner anyways, the weedburners are cheap, 20 dollars from harbor freight and they are good for many years of use. mines maybe 7 years old now and i leave it out in the elements year round in newengland. it does spark, wear some sunglasses and a hat when in use.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I agree, the weed burner is great. Mine also lives outside in south Florida less than a mile from the ocean, gets rained on and the salt air has it rusting. Three years old and still going strong.
    I have found that it is not necessary to use it with a blasting flame and if you keep the flame smaller you will have less sparks. I stay up wind so sparks go away from me. I bougt a tank adapter at Bass Pro and use the small colman propane tanks.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ia little oil, twisted napkin or two, and i'm at 700 in about 15 minutes.

no standing aound, no 'holding it in three spots for a minute each", no sparks.

not as fast as a weedburner, though.

cheaper than starters
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    small coleman adaptor, i see my weedburner on camping trips now :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I use the weed burner with propane. Really fast, ready to cook as soon as the "bad" smoke disappears.

fc
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Hard headed, I guess. At least that's what my wife keeps telling me (and about other things). :silly:

I didn't like fooling with the cubes when I first got my egg and a good friend (competition guy - on standard grill) told me he always used electric starters. That got me started and other than occasionally getting distracted (like reading the forum while the starter heats up), and toasting the wire, they create a good fire.

The MAP Pro looks good (have been looking at them in the stores) and that Looftlighter looks interesting (the videos on You Tube).

Hey, Really enjoying the rubs. They are ALL becoming favorites!
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    I place a shop towel folded into a square and doused with vegetable oil on top of the charcoal, open vents and close the lid... it will take about 10 minutes to go out and you will have a fistful of embers, put some black charcoal on top or stir it a little to disperse and reclose the lid...

startingfire1.jpg

cheers
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I prefer to use an electric starter, too.
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    I have use my weed burner but most of the time I use a crumpled up piece of newspaper. It does make some ash but I always have some around and it is my little way of recycling the newspaper.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Works better with rib notes,,,thats what Egret said :ohmy:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have thought about an electric too (mostly for the speed of it), but haven’t gotten there yet.
    I light my Egg with some birch bark and a few small pieces of kindling (usually aspen or oak) covered with some of the lump. This as worked well for me.
    OTOH, upon occasion (twice now) when I REALLY needed to get everything going REALLY FAST…
    I’ve used a LP torch. I do; however; like the birch bark and kindling method better!
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Those BGE starter cubes work great. I only use half of one, Break it in half, light it, set it down in the charcoal so it is not smothered, and let 'er go. Couldn't be any easier.

Really cool to hear you are enjoying the rubs! They are all really different. I am still learning new uses for them after 6 years.

Thanks Clark. Have a great night!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gzmogator
    Options
    Love electric. Bought first electric with Green Egg Logo on it. The element broke after a year but used about 4 to 5 times a week. Bought replacement at Lowes for one third price and works great.
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    I use the alcohol. I put it in a spray bottle, took the nozzle off and just spray it in the egg.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    I've used a Benzomatic torch for quite awhile and it works great. Takes just a few minutes to light and the Benzomatic fat boys last a longtime. If I don't get my self in gear and buy another tank, I'm going to be in trouble. I've used the one I've got for a longtime. I'm pushing it. Used electric, but, like this better. Haven't tried a weed burner yet.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
    It's cold here - cooking chili on Egg.
  • SmokeRing
    Options
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    60 ml of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) works best for me. See the video:

Part 1
    Part 2