Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket cooked with burgers >:(

Options
scorf
scorf Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a newbie, just finished my fourth cook with the egg. I thought I was starting to get the hang of it when I noticed heavy smoke (burgers) and a smell of plastic. Turns out my gasket had partially fallen into the oven area and was smoking my burgers. (FWIW felt/glue is not a very good smoke flavor.)

I did a search and found many discussion on replacing the gasket with better material or better adhesive, etc.

Is this true??? I just bought the egg last week, and now I have to research, purchase, and spend a hours scraping and installing a better gasket? (or at least another one). (So much for the family BBQ party I promised this weekend.)

What did I do wrong or is this common. Seems strange to me.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    This is all very simple.

First call your dealer and ask for help. Also, call BGE HQ explain the problem and they will help you out.

Sorry to hear you have a problem but it does happen but you will be taken care of.

If at all possible you want a Nomex Gasket without adhesive. You will need to get some 3M Super 77 adhesive

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    GG gives good advice. Meanwhile, you can take the burned gasket off and continue cooking. Might be difficult to go low but grilling will be fine.

The way you describe what happened (gasket had partially fallen into ...) it appears that you have an adhesive failure. What is left on the Egg should come off easily so you don't ruin any more cooks while waiting on a new gasket. I would heat the Egg up to say 300 and then see if the gasket pulls off easily with say a pair of pliers - that is the way mine came off of my mini.

Regardless, you should follow your dealer/BGE recommendations. Good luck with it.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    You didn't do anything wrong. It was an adhesive failure that is/has been pretty common lately. The exact same thing happened to me on about my 4th cook.
    I called HQ and they sent a nomex gasket (without adhesive), and I installed it with the recommended 3M 77 and all is well. It's unfortunate that it happened, but I understand that things do happen. Don't let it get you down, you will love your egg once you get past the gasket issue.
  • Nucman
    Nucman Posts: 59
    Options
    Please don't feel like the Lone Ranger. The same exact thing happened to me. I fired up my LBGE for the very first time last Saturday and had it going for a few hours @ 350*. I opened the dome to put some burgers on and the gaskets fell in. I was still able to cook the burgers and they came out GREAT. Through the support of the wonderful folks on this website, I was encouraged to cook some ribs on Sunday. It was the first time I cooked ribs and did it without a gasket. They came out GREAT also! I wouldn't put off a cook for not having a gasket. I'm glad I didn't

Contact your dealer! My dealer came by and replaced the gasket for me. I can't wait to fire it up again. If I wouldn't have a late meeting tonight, I'd do it when I get home but It'll have to wait until tomorrow. Best of luck!

The Nucman,
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm getting a new egg soon, so I'll watch the gasket. :huh:

The nomex gasket sounds like the way to go when the time comes for a replacement. Do you guys have nomex gaskets on both top and bottom? ;)
  • MN_Chuck
    Options
    I was attending an EggFest in MN last fall and couple of the new LBGE had loose gaskets. Brand new. The problem gaskets were found before we started cooking.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Salguod wrote:
    .... Do you guys have nomex gaskets on both top and bottom? ;)

Yes,top and bottom. I'm sure the felt gasket is fine too, as long as the glue is ok. My felt gasket that fell off still looks brand new. It was definitely an adhesive failure on mine.
  • scorf
    scorf Posts: 2
    Options
    Quick follow up:

Removed remaining gasket (pulled right off cold egg with no trouble).

Contacted the dealer where I bought it and they sent me a new gasket -- no issues.

Continued cooking without the gasket without any problems (high heat things like chicken, steak, burgers).

Thanks for all your advise -- REALLY set me at ease.

-Bob
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Will the 3M adhesive work on the felt gasket? Since most eggs come with and extra set.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!