Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili

belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's going to get damned chilly down here too.(FL) I need help. I want to put together some chili in a Dutch Oven and put it on the egg during my lunch hour. Let it slow cook so that it will be ready 4 or 5 hours later. Anybody got a great recipe and how best to do it on a Egg. I could do it in a crock pot, but, that's no fun. I have BBQ Garu's temp. control gadget and a bundle of egg accessories. Any help you'll would be appreciated.

Gordon
Vero Beach, FL

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one I like. Pulled Pork works well also. Here in Melbourne Fl, talk is high 20's tonight and tomorrow evening. Pulled in the orchids and covered the herbs bushed and stag horn ferns.

Chili, Pork, Scotchman's Red Chili

OH, what to do with the leftover meat from trimming pork ribs!

100_1286.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Riblets, Trimming of St Louis Ribs
    10 Lbs Pork Roast, Bone-In Pork
    4-6 Whole Poblano Chiles, Roasted on BGE
    2-3 Cups Bell Peppers, Chopped, I Prefer Red or Yellow
    4 Large Onions, Coarse Chopped
    3-4 Ribs Celery, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Jalapeños, Chopped
    2 Cans Beer
    2 Bunches Cilantro, Chopped, Leaves Only
    2 10 Ozs Rotel, Original
    20 Whole Tomatoes, Fire Roasted On BGE, Peeled and Crushed
    3 Cups Tomatoe Juice
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Chopped
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Kidney Beans, Red/Pink, include liquid
    1 7 Ozs Can Chipolte Sauce
    2 Cups Pork/Beef/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Coarse Ground
    3 Tsp Chili Powder, Chimayo
    2 Tbs Pepper, White, Ground
    2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Limes, Juice of
    4 Tsp Cumin
    3 Tbs Garlic, Coarse, Chopped
    4 Tbs Oregano, Mexican
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1/2 Stick Butter

Procedure:
    1 Cook the rib meat in a pot on the stove for about 2 1/2-3 hours. Turn off and when cool, drain the liquid--save some for the stock, and degrease it, separate the meat from the bones and fat. yielded about 3-4 cups of meat. The pork roast (3 pieces 2 inches thick) were placed indirect on BGE @350F for 2 1/2 hours. Then placed in the chile pot, bones and all.
    2 BGE 300°F-325°F, indirect, plate setter legs up, spacers under the DO, no top. I prefer to sauté the veggies on the stove, but the egg will work also. 2-3 pieces of apple wood for smoke flavor.
    3 In heavy 9 quart Dutch Oven, saute onions, celery, garlic, add tomatoes, liquids, spices. Cook on simmer for 3 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes so it does not stick.
    4 After 2 1/2-3 hours, add cilantro, pre-cooked pork, beans w/liquid. Cook 2 more hours., may need to add some more tomato juice if it starts to get dry. Add 1/2 stick butter at end for texture.Serve or reheat second day for better flavor. Freezes well.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 hours
    Ready in: 6 hours

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/11/08
  • As you know, I'm only about 35 miles south of you. Were supposed to get down to 33 or 34. We've got a house full of orchids. My wife has about 100 or so, and, there all in the house. A large pot with three vandas in it, are approximately 7 feet tall was a chore to get through the family room door without breaking any shoots. The thing is spetacular when in bloom. She takes better care of that than me.
    Great recipe,but, a bit large for the two of us. I've copied and will adjust it to our size. Thanks for the response. STAY WARM!!! We're not used this stuff.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    This will work for short notice.

1LB ground sirloin
    1 pkg McCormicks Chili Seasoning
    1 16oz can Sun Gold tomatoe sauce
    1 16 oz can Bush Chili beans
    1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and chiles
    2 16 oz cans beef broth.
    1 medium onion diced.

Bundle up those orange trees!
  • What do you think about your bbq guru temp gadget? as opposed to just adjusting the temp normally?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    The chili freezes very nicely, in portion size bags.

Only have about 10 poorly maintained, but they are in the kitchen tonight.

Joe Grezaffi is about 1o minutes from the house and very enjoyable to visit and listen to. Worth the trip, just be sure you call 'cause he sometimes shuts the gate for the day.

http://www.grezaffiorchids.com/
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    43 here in Port Charlotte. Heater is not working as the motor died and they seem to have lost the part in shipping. 2 weeks now :S it is a little chilly. did not care about it for the AC we pretty much always have a nice breeze, but this is a little nippy! Chili might be on the menu here too!
  • Steveo20 --- Absolutely love it. Did a brisket Monday. Let cook overnight. The temp was controlled and the brisket turned out great.

Gordon
    Vero Beach
  • Thanks to all for your replies. This forum is great.

A cold
    Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
    Not used to this stuff.