Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What kind of cooking do you do in a small egg. I'm thinking about adding a second egg to my family and can't decide whether to go with a big, medium or small. The small is intriguing for burgers and such for my wife and I alone. Is it good for salmon or other fish?[p]Any comments will be appreciated.[p]pastor_chuck

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    pastor_chuck,
    Just got mine a couple weeks ago and only used it a few times. I think once I'm not cooking large quantities, it will be used more and more. Had 2 ducks on the large today; did the veggies on the small. Used the small for lunch yesterday.
    If it's just the two of you, I'd suggest the small.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    pastor_chuck,[p]You say a second egg. If you are thinking of a big, medium, or small, am I correct in assuming your current egg is a mini?[p]Do you ever cook for groups larger than 2-3? Will you ever want to do a turkey? I love my small egg, but there are some things you just can't do on it. Tomorrow's enormous brisket is one of them! What do you figure you'll be doing on it and make the decision from there.[p]I have a large, small, AND mini, by the way. The small is the one used 75-80% of the time.[p]mShark
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    smgrill.jpg
    <p />pastor_chuck,[p]Welcome to the forum![p]The small Egg is a handy piece to have and very versatile with a little creativity. I have all Egg sizes but use the small most of the time as others have stated.[p]It's an excellent high temp grill due to the close proximity of the grid to the coals. I found (thanks YB) that a replacement 14" cooking grid from the Weber "Smoky Joe" mini kettle (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) fits perfectly when raised up on 4" SS bolts as pictured. This not only provides an extra level for additional food, but alters the cooking characteristics to be more like little Humpty's bigger brothers when using only the upper level.[p]Along with grilling, I have smoked small hams, salmon filets and a rack or two of ribs when cut in half. [p]smgrill2.jpg
    My setup will also accept a 12" pizza stone for small pizzas and bread baking.[p]K~G

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Wow...what a great idea! (add to list...go to home depot).[p]mShark