Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basting Wings

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When cooking wings on the BGE, does it make any sense to baste them with hot sauce the last few minutes on the Egg? Or should you just use that as a dipping sauce? If indeed you baste while cooking, when and for how long do you do it? I'm presuming you do it at the end, but maybe not. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    New User Nick,[p]I just rub the wings with whatever rub I'm using and grill away. At the end of the cook after removing the wings, I toss them with whatever sauce I wish to apply.[p]Applying the sauce before or during the cook, IMO, adds little to the cook. Much of it simply burns into the cook and doesn't add much productive flavor.[p]Heeeeeeeeeeeee,
    Cornfed

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    New User Nick,
    Depending on how hot you want, I would start basting aroung the last 20 to 30 minutes or so every time you turned them. I turn ~about ever ten minutes and baste each time with hot sauce. They may look kinda black in places but I like lots of hot sauce. :)
    HTH,
    ChefRD

• ChefRD, how long do you cook those bad boys? And at what temperature? You say the "last" 20-30 minutes.....I've been doing mine for about 30 minutes total, at around 325. What's your drill? Thanks.
    [/b]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    New User Nick,
    i usually cook around 250~275. Check out the recipes section here if u want the whole story.
    later,
    ChefRD

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    New User Nick,
    i recently did my mandarin wings (see the posting from last weekend). .. .i cooked them at around 230 for 1 1/2 hours. .. they were definitely not overcooked. .. really moist. .. i had to move them around a little bit to keep the one hot spot i had from charring them, but otherwise it was a real nice cook. . .[p]max

• So, mad max beyond eggdome, do the wings still crisp up at such low temperatures? I presume so, but I've always cooked at higher temps to sooner get these appetizers on the table. Thx.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    New User Nick,
    one of the problems with my mandarin wings, is that the sauce has an awful lot of syrupy stuff in it (s&S, hosin, duck sauce, even honey), so it is a short trip from crisp to burnt. . .i found that since even at 230 i had a hot spot on the grill, that if i rotated the wings around every 10 - 15 minutes (which does sort of go agains bge wisdom of keeping the dome closed), that all of the wings managed to hit the hot spot and therefore got just enough direct heat to crisp them up pretty well without burning. .. i think that if i do wings with anything else (like just a rub, or a less sugarry marinade), that i would use hotter direct temps and a lot less time. .. but then, that sounds like the way i used to do them over gas or on the weber. .. .[p]any way you do them, they gotta be good. . .:-). . ..[p]best[p]max