Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Sunday and the welcomed in-laws

Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All, I would like some help.[p]The in-laws are coming this coming weekend for Easter Sunday, along with other guests. Most are large eaters and I only have a medium Egg. What are some ideas/meals to cook on the egg for Easter?[p]The challenge is that we want to eat at lunch time after church (9-11). I'm thinking of lighting the egg before we leave for church and letting it stabilize then after church, I can immediately start the cook.[p]Any help and suggestions for the main course would be much appreciated! There will be 6 adults & 1 child.[p]Banker John

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Banker John,[p]Half a pork loin would do the trick. You can stuff it if you want, or just rub it with your favorite seasonings. Cook to an internal temp of 145°. Should only take 1 to 1½ hours. Good Luck![p]Jim
  • Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Banker John,[p]
    I think you hit the issue on the head - people will be coming out from church and will be hungry - and leaving the egg chugging along whilst you are away is always a slight risk (the last time I did this the egg had a temperature burst and I ending toast 20lbs of pork butt at the end of a very 16 hour cook.)[p]So you have a couple of options - if you want to do a lo & slo overnight - timed to pull it off before you go to church - you can wrap it up in plastic wrap and towels and put it in a cooler and it will still be piping hot when you get back from church.[p]The other route - and one that I am going to do - is to grilled a butterflied leg of lamb - you can rub it down with whatever spices you want in the morning - let sit until you get home - fire up the grill and typically it is 12 minutes a side - or until what ever done-ness you want - served with pan-fried asparagus with butter and fresh tarragon thrown in at the very end and you will be a king son-in-law.[p]Cheers,
    Cap'n

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Cap'n,
    Smart thinking. I'm thinking a low and slow brisket could also be a winner - pre-prepared as you suggested.[p]Ken

• Cap'n
    Ken,[p]That's a great idea too - I have yet to really perfect that cut - but with the help of WooDoggies maybe one day I will ;-)[p]Cheers,
    Brian

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hey Brian![p]Funny, growing up in the South, I was never exposed to cooking or eating brisket..... never heard of "beef bbq". Only briskets I had were the cured variety.... cold cuts, St. Paddy's and such.[p]All I know about briskets was learned here and the BBQ Forum by the likes of Nature Boy, Qfan, drbbq, Spin, reg, and all those other brisket-heads..... I'm just a babe in the wood but it sho is fun learning, cookin, and eatin..... all while raising the learning curve.[p]So, what's on the cooker today. mang?
    John

• Cap'n
    WooDoggies,
    I with you man - I will never forget the day someone told me there was such a thing a beef bbq - it was on a trip across the country at 16 with my dad...somewhere in Texas we stopped for lunch at Kim's Diner - just a little dive on the side of the road...killer beef though. [p]Check out the post at the top of the page - I sent you an invite for dinner.[p]cheers,
    brian

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Banker John,[p]I would suggest Tri Tip because imo, it's one of the easiest and most forgiving cooks you can do.[p]I like cook tri tip direct with an initial dome temp around 400 degrees to sear both sides about four minutes a side. I keep an eye on my dome temp during the searing, I don't want it to get too much over 400 degrees because after I sear it, I'm going to try and get the dome temp down and go at a lower temp while I'm in church. So, once the sear is done I dwell the meat with the fat side up or away from the coals. If all goes well, the dome temp will drop to 275 and give me a chance to stabelize the dome temp before I leave. If not, I just set my bottom vent and daisy wheel to where my egg traditionally stabelizes at 275. On my egg the daisy wheel vents are a smidge under wide open and the bottom vent is just under an inch. I am usually home from church an hour and a half later. I'm hoping that the internal temp of the meat will be under 140 but I've served tri tip at 160 with no complaints.