Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placement of BGE on porch?

Options
Samplemaven
Samplemaven Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be setting up my first BGE in the next couple of weeks. I have a covered porch whose ceiling is 11' above the deck. Will the exhaust from the grill cause a problem on my painted, concrete ceiling? If more practical, I could place the BGE beside the railing (instead of next to an interior brick wall) to give the smoke a better chance of not being trapped under the ceiling.

A third option is placing the grill on an unenclosed pergola whose rafters are about 13-14 feet above the deck if necessary...but the location is not as close to the back door, but and the egg will be open to the elements.

What do you think?

...and thanks....

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    You first plan is as we do it: up against the porch wall under a 13 foot ceiling. No problems. Having said that, I recently learned that the firecode in our State says that a grill can not be closer than 10 feet to the building :ohmy:
  • Samplemaven
    Options
    Perfect! I wouldn't expect any problems with a ceramic cooker next to a brick wall! Thanks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i used to have mine on a porch until i had a small fire during the night while i slept, i was lucky it went out on its own. i play it safer now and the egg has some distance from the house. a neighbor of mine lost his house and was burned badly from a grease fire on a gasser, he was older and never recovered. there is a reason a lot of towns prohibit grills on decks, and its not because the paint on the roof gets darker from the smoke
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Samplemaven
    Options
    I never looked at it that way...makes sense.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    It makes even more sense once you have a fire. As we found out, 10 feet might not be far enough from the house if the right conditions are provided.

Be safe out there!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BulldawgEgger
    Options
    I live in an urban loft and have a concrete and brick porch with my egg backed in the corner away from the elements. I have had no such problems other than neighbors beating down my door with their tongues.

P.S. How do you have a fire at night when the fire its self should be contained in the egg?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    stuff happens, my egg cracked during the cook
    2005_0104Image0008.jpg
    i believe chris's egg had an ember that blew out in the wind and rolled up his driveway into the garage. with fire you cant play it too safe. i lost a table, chris lost his house, my neighbor up north lost part of his house, and all the skin from his elbows to his finger tips on both arms
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BulldawgEgger
    Options
    WOW! Danger! I guess I should watch more of my old GI JOE Public safety messages. No more overnight cooking for me.