Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck and Sausage

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nope all you acadians, no gumbo here (saving some duck for that when it finally gets cold here).

But the boy and I went to our Duck lease for a final hunt of the season and had a GREAT time together. Among others, we harvested a nice mallard drake and 3 Green-wing Teal, which are my personal favorites to eat.

DSC_0008.jpg

So, no freezer for them. Brined them overnight and put began marinating them in some Zesty Italian first thing this morning. Then coated in DP Shakin' the Tree. On the right is some Aidell's Mango & Jalepeno and Chicken and Apple sausages. In the bowl, simple Zucchini, Baby Bellas and Onion with a little EVOO and JH Pecan.

DSC_0011.jpg

Set up the Duck breasts on TJV's adjustable rig under the sausages to allow for some fat to drip (duck breast without skin is very lean). Here they are moving along at 400 dome.

DSC_0012.jpg

Hey look, the gasser is good for SOMETHING. I didn't have room for the grill pan on the egg, so onto a hot gasser the veggies go.

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Everything smelled so good, I almost forgot to take a plated pic. The Duck here is just how I like it, not a degree past medium. Served with the veggies and a little homemade mac & cheese:

DSC_0015.jpg

Now I just get to slave away at work until the 09' season starts in September. :angry:

Take a kid hunting or fishing...they'll love you for it!!

Comments

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Nice looking cook. Brining plus duck = nice eating.

Great pics!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Brad,

Looks great! Just finished putting a bunch of duck breasts in the freezer. Last week's harvest. The ones I plan to freeze, I soak in water in the frig for several days, changing the water daily. Seems to draw out a lot of the blood.

Only one weekend left here in the season. :(

What did you brine your ducks in?

I've got duck & sausage gumbo plus duck chili on the mind for "after the season" cooks.

Thanks,
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I'm with you Clint, bleeding out the ducks in water for at least a couple days is a must.

I brined these in 1 cup of cosher salt, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and a half gallon of water. Judging by the reaction of even my bride (who rarely partakes in the harvest) I'd say it was worthwhile.

Hope you can get out next weekend...unfortunately, we're done for the year. :(
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks! I will have to try that. As much as I like duck hunting, I really don't care for the strong liver flavor of the ducks. I have had little success cooking whole ducks - even teal and woodies, considered the best-eating ducks.

My best recipes are 1) Duck and cajun sausage gumbo 2) Duck chili (first time was an overwhelming success) and 3) Duck kabobs using a soak in pineapple juice and skewered with pineapple chunks/bacon.

oh yeah, made some outstanding ABT's with thin slices of breast that had been marinaded in Creole Butter injector marinade for an hour or so.

Hope your season went well, Austin Smoker.
  • blackgrass
    Options
    I grew up duck hunting...My mom used to cut the breast and dredge in flour and fry them up. They were good with some cream style gravy.
    The last few years when I cooked them I would soak them in salt water like you guys mentioned. Then cut each breast in halves or thirds depending on the size of the duck. I'd take a nice slice of jalapeno pepper and wrap the breast around it and then wrap a piece of bacon around the breast and grill them much like ABT's.
    You really can't even tell it's duck that way...a lot of work but worth it.

I have a bunch of doves in the freezer I'm going to do the same way. Boning out dove breast is a chore but people can’t get enough of them cooked that way.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Last September I took fresh dove breasts (off the bone), marinaded them briefly in Creole Butter injector marinade, then made ABTs with them and they were devoured!
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Ahhh yes, the old wrap it with jalepeno and bacon trick - we call them "duck nuggets" at our camp. We take a slice of sweet onion about 2 inches wide, smear some cream cheese, add a slice of jalepeno, a nugget of duck breast and then wrap in a bacon. Sprinkle all of it with a good rub (used Bad Byron's this past weekend) and they will get devoured!!

Takes some time for sure...my cousin (pictured) and I took turns wrapping (with intermittent beer drinking) and wrapped about 50 of them in 30 minutes this past weekend.

DSC_0002-1.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    The wife saw this post last night and told me about it while I was at work. Great looking cook. I had reather have a brace of teal any day than a mallard to eat. Only problem is we don't get them over hear except the first week of season and there gone. Agree the longer you cook wild duck the dryer it gets. This week end is the last one for our season. Been working straight 12 hr shifs since last Monday so haven't been able to go for a while and may be on them till next week. Hope I get to go with my Dad at least one more time. He's 71 and in good shape but next years a long way for ALL of us. Looks like you'll have some one around to go with you for a long time! ;) Glad you and the young man had a good time. I replyed to your question about a squeller you asked. Don't know if you saw it. Squeller is what we call a wood duck in the deep South. Better eating than a mallard to IMO. B)
    By the way, whats that duck in the back ground on the left. Someone pop a ring neck?! :laugh:
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    JL - I hope you and your dad get to go this weekend too. You're blesssed to be close to him, and be able to enjoy time in the timber with him!!

I'm with you on the Teal, just good eating. I couldn't believe how many we had working this past weekend, we had 4 or 5 "squadrons" of 20-30 birds on us - we think they must have been pushed up from the coast by the strong southern winds earlier in the week.

I did see your response on the "squeller" and had wondered if it wasn't a Woodie you were talking about - given the racket they can make! ;) We never see them down here....beautiful duck!

Not sure if that's a Ringneck or a Gadwall you're seeing in the pic. My son killed a Gaddie and the other youngster on the hunt took a Ringneck...clearly, he's still learining on his identification in the air.

We also worked a BUNCH of Pintails this weekend. I popped a beautiful big Drake. Unfortunatlely, I head shot him and tore him up pretty good, or I would have mounted him for sure.

Good luck on this weekend....thinking positively that you will get to go. ;)