Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP Torch Info

Options
Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some great info on the forum about MAPP and other starting methods. However, very little talk about specific models of Benzomatic and other brands for the heads &/or hoses & kits used...

Any specific suggestions about brand/model of starters?

Hopefully this helps some rookies like myself!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I bought a BernzOmatic TS4000 about 4 years ago in Lowe's for about $38, got 2 tanks for the price

Have tried most every other methods to start the fire except the flame thrower method. After getting sparks all over me for 6 months or so, I found a 5 inch metal cap for a lamp at a lamp supple store. It has 1/2 inch hole and this was placed on the nozzle with a small hose clamap to hold in place and very seldom get sparked now, except when using mesquite charcoal.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have the Bernzomatic 4600. That is the small one that screws to the top of a Mapp canister. It works great. There is one that looks like a cane, I believe it is used for burning grass in the cracks of concrete and there is the Tim Taylor style flame thrower that some use. I believe that one requires a big propane tank. Whichever one you use, wear eye protection.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    This is the one I use. Got it at Lowe's and it was a kit so no extras to purchase...it's the TS8000...
    110c5a69.jpg
  • dukedog
    dukedog Posts: 39
    Options
    I have the same model as Eggtucky. Works like a charm and I'm pleasantly shocked at how long the canisters last. Definitely wear eye protection.
  • Seidegger
    Options
    This kit is on sale at Homedepot for 37$?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    that's a good price and ditto what dukedog said..get some safety glasses for the sparks...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    As a long time Mapp user, I just have the standard trigger tip, after 4 years the tank was empy, but the tip is still working, that worked out to about .03 cents per day, not to mention the copper pipe repairs I had done.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    call me chicken - I don't care - but I don't relish having the tank inside the egg during lighting. With this model the 3' hose means the tank is outside. Only drawback is it doesn't have the fancy built in scratch starter and trigger, but lighting is no big task.
    IMG_1181.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I just use propane. I made this. Copied a guru one.

IMG_8122.jpg
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I like the one with the hose.
    DSC_0001-1.jpg
    Ross
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm no safety engineer but I cringed at that picture. I see no compression clamps or ferrules securing that common plastic tubing to the metal. I realize when the tank is open and the gas is burning it is unrestricted so the tubing should stay compressed, but as the metal heats and expands couldn't the plastic melt or catch on fire and become a whipping flammable rope! Sorry, but that scares me.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    The tube only gets warm about 4 inches up the pipe. The hose is pressed on. I have been using it for almost a year without any problems. That is how the Bbq guru's is made. If there is a safety issue he would not be selling them.

G_800-4000-000.jpg

The BBQ Guru's
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm happy for you that you've used your tubing for a year with no problems, but if you read the Guru site and view it the tubing is described as flexible silicone tubing plus there clearly is a secured brass screw on connection. Silicone typically has a high or higher resistance to heat than the clear plastic tubing you used which I believe is commonly used in a low or unpressurized cold water application. I'm sure you think I'm being bad here, but so many people view this board that I think safety is an issue that we need to address. Even those who unknowingly post that they use MAPP tanks on a head designed ONLY for propane gas is a real safety issue.

BTW if I'm all wet - about your rig - then I'll humbly apologize! But, "Once burnt - always scared"!