Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to purchase another egg, need help. . .

Options
Washog
Washog Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I currently own the Large and would like to buy another egg for smaller cooks for just my wife and kids and myself. Will the small work or do I need to buy a medium? Also, where is the best place to buy fire bricks?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Washog, I'm a lucky dude and happen to own a small, a med and a large. I started out with the large and added the small and was surprised when my wife gave me the med. The large/small is a perfect combo. The small can't be beat for it's nuke temp capabilities and quick meals. BTW we are just a family of 2 also.

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    Washog,
    I have the large thxs to woodoggies, I also got the small soon after. It's the perfect combo. I use the small most of the time (4-5 days a week and the large once a week).
    Works great when a lot of company are over, the large for a big meal and the small for apps.
    Been thinking about the mini lately for steaks and travling.
    dublin

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Washog,
    I have a large and a small and personally don`t feel the need for any other size. The small is a great steak machine because the grill is closer to the coals. And I got my firebrick from a local brickyard.[p]Wess

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Washog,
    The large and small together make a great combo and I probably use my small 90% of the time. A small is perfect for most of what I cook for my wife and me. But, you say you want a smaller egg to cook for you, your wife AND KIDS. How many kids? Depending upon what you tend to cook the most and how many kids you have, a medium might be a better choice. You will have to weigh the added capacity of a medium against its additional cost, which I consider substantial. Another thing to consider is that it is fairly practical to pack up a small and take it camping with you - or to the park, etc. It would be much more difficult to do that with a medium.

• dublin
    Options
    dublin,
    BTW I also added another grid with 4 ss bolts to my small so its pretty roomie in there.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Washog,[p]You are looking to buy... "another egg for smaller cooks for just my wife and kids and myself".[p]What benefit will the next Egg provide you - other than less excess capacity? I am really curious as to what the goal is you are trying to achieve?[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• dublin
    Options
    Jethro,
    One reason is that you use a HELL of a lot less charcoal.
    dublin

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Jethro,
    I have a large and want a small. One reason is that I want to be able to take an egg with me sometimes and the small is small enough to do that. Also, it allows me to cook things at a different temperature at the same time I cook on the large. Like if I was doing ribs on the large and wanted to do a batch of ABTs on the small. It would also give me significant additional capacity for larger groups. Anyway, one man's take....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Jethro
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]All valid reasons, though I interpreted Washog's need as being related more torward wanting to eliminate excess capacity.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Options
    dublin,[p]That could be the reason and that could be a good reason.[p]Over an average year how much lump did you use before you got your small?[p]How much do use in an average year, now that you have your small?[p]What do you pay for a bag of lump?[p]Jethro
  • dublin
    Options
    Jethro,
    Over an average year how much lump did you use before you got your small?
    I only had my large 6 months before i got my small, but i use about 10 bags (But i also did longer cooks on the large)[p]How much do use in an average year, now that you have your small?
    I use AT LEAST half of the charcoal with small and with the extra savings I might buy a mini (Just for short cooks)[p]What do you pay for a bag of lump?
    My dealer salls lump for $15 for a 20lb of BGE charcoal.[p]I would never get rid of the small, great for quick cooks and now that i added an extra grill i can do long cooks with less charcoal, i can even add a drip pan.
    Great temps, quicker lighting time.
    dublin

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Washog,
    I've owned a large for just over 2 years. I recently added a small to the family. While I have only used it once since getting it this past weekend, I feel I'll cook more meals for the wife and myself on it than the large but I'm glad I started with the large. However, I'm not sure you could adequately cook for your wife, yourself and your kids. The cost jump from a small to a medium is considerable though so that may well play a part in your decision. Wish I could offer more/better advice.

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Basically I'm wanting something that is easier to load and use less charcoal. Also I often find myself cooking combinations of say tri tip and ribs. Plus, doing 4 burgers on a Large seems a bit like overkill. Like you, I'm not totally convinced I'm going to do this yet, but I'm thinking very seriously about it. [p]Thanks for everyone's imput.
  • dublin,[p]got any pictures of your set up (extra grill with 4 ss bolts). I'm very interested in a small.[p]pastor_chuck