Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Q

Options
Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thank you for the continued advice.

Another question: What grilling/smoking thermometer does everyone recommend. There are many mixed reviews all over the internet. I know the Thermopen is great for instant reads, but I am focusing on surface BGE temps and meat internal temps for long or short cooks.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thermopen and Maverick ET-73 ($39.99 on the net).

Don't discount the value of the Thermopen and don't substitute for a cheaper or knock off Thermopen.

For me following the advice of the forum and finally getting the Thermopen was the biggest improvement to the taste of the food I was cooking on egg and off egg.

GG
  • Seidegger
    Options
    I am def. getting a Thermopen, just curious if I need one of those maverick et73 type monitors...

personally, i was figuring to stabilize the temps and as it nears the end of the cook, just poke it with the thermopen.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    the et73 has an alarm thats load enough to wake you up during the night if there is a problem with the fire, either too high or too low, or if the meat is done. if you dont need that a simple dial type roast thermometer can be left in a butt and read thru the daisy wheel, either way is fine, but one is more convienient
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I got a remote Weber model ($20) at Home Depot 4 years ago and it is still going strong.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I am the type of person that wants to know the ongoing temperatures of the cook, even if it is just for a glance.

For me the ET-73 is important and I would buy another should mine go bad.

I use the 73 for any cook that takes much longer than an hour or so.

I don't use the ET-73 if I am in an area in the yard or house that I can see the egg. I will turn the dome thermometer so the desired dome temp is at the 12 o'clock position. I can then glance at the egg and know that the temp's are where I want it.

I think fishlessman has a point, the egg does a great job on its own. One needs to learn and trust the capabilities of the eggs for short or long cooks.

Other than the Thermopen, thermometers and powered vent systems are a convenience/crutch. However, I do like sleeping all through the night.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rich,

Does the Weber have dual probes and food/pit alarms?

Kent
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    No. It does not have dual probes but it does have an alarm that goes off 5 degrees before the temp and then another when it reaches the temp.

The problem with this model, unlike the Maverick, is it has preset temps for chicken, lamb, beef, etc meaning you can not set a specific temp but with all the problems mentioned here on the forum about people having trouble with the Maverick (I have both) I use this one 90% of the time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The degree warning sounds like a nice feature.

I would have to have dual probe as well as degree settings rather than presets.

My Maverick ET-7 and had some problems, but not an minutes problem with the ET-73 - knock on wood.

I would guess the ET-73 problems are much like the gasket problems. Many more people have great results than those that have problems. Those with problems are asking for help and are thus more noticeable.

GG