Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make spatchcocked chicken intensley tender and juicy?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello eveyone, I hope you all are doing fine. I cooked a chicken tonight, and it was very good, but not as juicy as usual. I cooked it @350* for 40 minutes, and the breast temp had already reached 174*. I then wrapped it loosly with foil and put it bach into a cooling egg for about 30 minutes. I don't know if there is enough fot in a chicken to make it like pulled pork by getting temp up to 190-200, or if I need it away from heat as soon as it reaches 170*. Thank you for any responses.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    spineyone:[p]Many times after cutting the backbone out of the bird I brine it for one hour in one of the kitchen sink bowls. Naturally, it is a cold, icy, brine with about a cup of kosher salt and enough water to cover two butterflied birds in the sink bowl. Rinse well after the brine, dry, rub (your favorite, naturally), and grill till the juice runs clear at the leg joint and you are done.[p]Breast meat too done is for the dogs . . .
  • Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    chicken is definitely not like pork butt - [p]for butterflied chicken - just keep it simple - high in the dome - direct - 350 until the juices run clear (an hour). Poultry loves to absorb smoke - so for me the smoke from the lump usually does the trick. No need to let it sit that long in the egg once it is done. Just let it sit a few minutes (10) on a covered plate until you can't stand the smell and dig in.[p]many glasses of shiraz to you...
    Cap'n

• spineyone,
    At 170º breast meat is already drying out. At 174º and wrapping putting back on the cooker just makes it drier.
    Breast meat is at it's best at 160º, I will pull it off the cooker at 155º, it will reach 160º resting.
    Jim

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    I agree that 174 is getting dry. I usually pull the chicken off when the breast reads 165. Once, When I was super hungry and pulled the chicken off a little earlier, at 160, the breast was great, but the upper portion of the drumstick was rubbery from undercooking. Do you not have that problem? If not, I wonder if it was just the chicken.
    --Aron

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    spineyone,[p]I have had my best results with the dome at 325, twenty minutes per side, and the chicken up on an extender [i.e., as high above the fire as possible].[p]
  • Aron,
    I do not cook chickens whole any longer, breasts I pull at 155 to 160 and pull dark meat at 175 to 180, both are done and at the best temps for those cuts. If you are going to cook whole and want the best results I suggest brining to have a better chance to keep the breast moist while the legs and thighs are finishing.
    Jim[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Jim:[p]I find that cooking butterflied birds results in the breasts and legs being done at about the seme time. I cook them bone side down and do not turn them. This is a much easier cook than cooking them whole.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    Got to admit that I cook pieces because of control for competing. I can't have a piece under cooked or over done, cooking pieces gives me that control.
    Space is never a consideration because I have too many cookers anyway. :>
    Jim