Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Rub?

Options
bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good rub to go on a chicken that will either be beer-butted or butterflied. Got one in the fridge for dinner tonight![p]Also, do you think brining is necessary? Especially since I haven't done it yet. Would a bird benefit from a couple of hours of brining, or does it need to be overnight?[p]Thanks![p]Mike

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    bigmikej,
    I've spatchcocked about 30 chickens, and everyone has been juicy. I personally don't think brining is worth the trouble unless you brine to introduce flavor into the meat. I wouldn't do it simply to make the meat juicier. Also, the two birds I did brine had the skin split, which isn't all that attractive. [p]As for rubs, I've used Montreal Steak Seasoning (really good), John Henry pecan (not much flavor) and Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin (great). I've also tried Alton Brown's recipe which involved peppercorns, garlic, parsley, oil, lemon zest and salt being ground into a paste and inserted under the skin. I thought the smoke flavor overwhelmed the paste and you really couldn't taste it much. I think I would hold back on as much of the smoke as possible if using something like that. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    bigmikej,
    I agree with the whiz and would add Ken Stone's Easy Life to my preferred rubs. I am a big fan of brining - except for chicken. It usually cooks quickly enough, particularly in the Egg, to stay moist. This goes for spatchcocked chicken or chicken in a rack or on a sitter. Have fun.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    bigmikej,
    My favorites are Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin or Ken Stone's Red Rooster. Since you don't have time to order them before the cook, my next choice would be Lawry's Perfect Blend Seasoning and Rub for chicken and poultry. I got mine at Sam's, but I am sure most any store would carry it.[p]~nikki

• Pig Sooie
    Pig Sooie Posts: 26
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]Even though he's gotten a little "popular" for some folks, I think Emeril's Essence is an excellent rub on chicken. I think you can even mix up your own concoction of it with a recipe of the ingredients that has been posted on the Food Network web site.

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Options
    bigmikej,
    As Pig Sooie said, I love "Essence" on chicken, as well as Tony Chacharie's (I know I butchered the spelling) cajun seasoning.
    [/b]
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    bigmikej,
    This is too late for last night's supper, but for your next chicken get some of NatureBoy's Tsunami Spin and apply liberally. Then add some pecan to the fire and you will have some great tasting chicken.