Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all,[p]Yep I know you aren't meant to mention the opposition here but I have a dilemma. Occassionally I need to cater for largeish crowds (say 20 adults). This is not the norm but one has to consider it. Now the BGE maxes out at 18 1/4 " grill, the comp at 22". So I am trying to get a handle on which way to jump and I am hoping for some feedback from you kind folks.[p]I am from the land down under (Australia) and BBQ Galore has the large BGE. The K has no presence and must be imported from Indonesia which to me is a big hassle, especially if things go wrong. However not only does it have a larger grill but it has grills that can be set up in 3 layers.[p]So I am not after feedback on which one is better, just how you find the 18 1/4" grill size. And how you have gotten around the problem of catering for larger crowds. Buying a second egg is a fine option but down here they are VERY expensive as our dollar is only about half the US dollar.[p]Also any word on whether BGE is planning on an expansion of its waist line (i.e., larger grill)?[p]Regards.

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    fis001,
    You can always purchase a grill extender, or make a second level out of an extra grate and some bolts. You can get quite a bit of meat on two levels.[p]~Nikki

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bigcook.jpg
    <p />fis001,[p]This cook fed about 70 people with leftovers that probably could have fed another 20 or 30. Three 8 lb butts on the left and two 8s and a 14 lb brisket on the right. The grid extenders work great to give you two levels over an inverted plate setter for indirect cooks. [p]You will have no problem cooking for 20 on a large BGE. You just may be limited in what you serve. I have done many cooks similar to these as well as turkey, roasts (pork or beef), or ribs (8 full racks of babybacks) that will serve a bunch of people. [p]Good luck with your decision.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />Another shot of the butts and brisket.

• Fish Bones
    Options
    fis001,[p]The question you need to answer is how often will you be cooking for a large group? If it is a couple times a year then a Large BGE will do fine.[p]Depending on what you cook, you may have to start a little early. For instance, I might throw three beer butt chickens on at 12n then when they are done around 3pm, throw on six racks of ribs and be able to eat by around 7pm.[p]You can make a Large BGE work with a little planning.[p]Kurt
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    fis001,

To best answer your question i will first say that i have 6 eggs in 5 sizes that include 2 large eggs that i use to compete with. Mind you the smallest is a mini mini only 6" tall and good for only one shrimp at a time. In telling you this i feel that if you are going to cook for more than 20 people on a regular basis, you should realy go for 2 large units. I have seen the oval & it is a nice unit as well but your dollar is like our Canadian $ and the exchange hurts us. If you can buy an egg that is already in the country then i would go that route instead of paying all the extra shipping costs. [p]Earl

• Love Handles
    Options
    fis001,
    I agree with Chuck, you can get an awful lot of meat on a large with a grill extender. I've made pork roasts the day before, sliced them up and taken them to tailgate parties and warmed them up over the bbq's at the games. It was still good--See-Yaa

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    fis001,
    Depending on what you're cooking and portion size, the large is adequate. To serve 20 adults, I'd cook:
    spare ribs - 10 racks (using a rib rack to maximize space) or,
    pork shoulder - 10 to 12 pounds (uncooked weight)[p]Chicken is problematic: one bird will feed 2 or 3 adults, depending on their appetites and the range of side dishes. The easiest way is to part them out before cooking, and using a second grill or grill extender as mentioned below. If you get your chicken already cut up, you can maximize space by doing only drumsticks or only thighs.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Thank you to all who have taken time to post replies with even some e-mailing me. Very kind and much appreciated. I like what I have read and it really sounds like I need to track down a grill extender in Oz or make one. That should give me what I am after. Excellent.[p]Cheers from down under.[p]H.
    Sydney - Australia[p]PS: I think I escaped pretty well without any lurid comments about size mattering :)