Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Do smaller Boston butts take more than 2 hrs a lb?

RoanokesmokeRoanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a 3 1/4 lb. Boston butt, and its I just passed the 7 hour mark, and yet the current temp is only 165. As far as the temp of my egg, its been perfectly steady at 260 the entire time (230 at the grate). I know the general rule is 2 hours a lb. for butts, but perhaps that applies to larger butts, in which they typically are on for 15 hours or more. Do smaller butts generally take longer than 2 hours a lb. since they simply aren't on as long? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
·

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Nope size does not matter.. that is a rule of thumb not an absolute..

They are done when they are done.

However I would check that dome temp to ensure it's correct.
    ·
  • everything is calibrated perfectly. Like I said, my dome temp typically is 25-30 degrees higher than my temp at the grate for the first 4-5 hours, which is also the case today (260 dome, 230 grate.) However, now that the butt is nice and warm, along with everything else, my grate temp has actually climbed to 250 (which is typical for me after several hours of smoking---the difference lowers to about 10 degrees or so), thus I lowered the dome temp to 240. Even so, going on 8 hours I'm only at 179.
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Like I said. The 1 to 2 hours is a guideline. It will be done when it's done. The temp will tell you when it's done.
    ·