Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Granny's hot dawgs

vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
edited 4:33AM in EggHead Forum
This was a great day to cook on the BGE. I wanted to try different things. Here is the first one for the day.

My cousin, Hugh Hardy owns Carroll's Sausage & Meats in S Ga. www.carrollssausageandmeats.com is their website. Hugh also has his own local cooking show and a cookbook out on Amazon.

He often has his grandmother, my aunt Ruth on his cooking show. She is 87 and a real Pip. Anyway on one of his shows Ruth is talking about her "special" hotdogs. The recipe is:

all beef franks
a CI skillet
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt

So today I fired up the small and set it up raised grid direct. I let the Egg get to 375 degrees at the dome. I put the CI skillet in for 5 minutes and then melted the butter. Once the butter was melted I put in the 3 spices and stirred into the butter. I put the hot dogs in the skillet and cooked them until they were nice & brown. Ginny had made coleslaw and heated up hotdog chili. Two of these bad boys and a nap was imminent. The spices were really great on the dogs and I doubt I will do them any other way.

Ball Park Franks going in the pan

IMG_1191-1.jpg

almost ready

IMG_1192-1.jpg

I ate one with no condiments on it... :silly:

IMG_1193-1.jpg

and one with everything :woohoo:

IMG_1194-1.jpg
·

Comments

• Thanks for the post Kim, good pic's.
    Ross
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,747
    Will you consider doing those in Ocala. If not, Can I have permission? They look wonderful!
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Gene,

It is funny you mention Ocala. After cooking those Ginny said we should do these in Ocala. ;) I have a few other things I want to try so I will let you know ahead of time.

Thanks for the compliment.... :lol:
    ·
  • TomM24TomM24 Posts: 1,364
    I bet those dogs were good. The dressed dog looks great!
    ·
  • EggtuckyEggtucky Posts: 2,746
    ahhh...very nice Kim!..what won't a half stick of butter make good!?! :P ..I buy beef bologna, sometimes boar's head, from my butcher and fry bologna the same way..right before taking it off, stick a couple pieces of cheese on it and serve on whole wheat bread with mayo, a glass of milk, and side(s) of your choice... :woohoo:
    ·
  • Vidalia - those look great, I can't wait to try them. Thanks you for sharing the recipe.

Hey Crimsongater,
    Please, oh, please make your jalepeno cornbread in Ocala! I have told so many people about it and I would love to have it again. Or, maybe even the recipe would suffice - pleeaasse. It was one of the best things I tasted at Octoberfest.
    Thanks.
    Faith
    Tampa, FL
    ·
    The plans are to do the cornbread and do a throwdown with Pete (cornbread throwdown). I think you would be a great candidate for a judge ;)
    ·
    I have got a Mexican cornbread I may have to throw at you guys...it's GOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ·
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your Aunt Ruth's weiners. I've never had 'em that way, I may need to try 'em.
    ·
  • OK, I will happily be the judge of your thowdown.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    ·
    My jalapeno cornbread will reign supreme (just watched iron chef america)
    ·
  • Boss HoggBoss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Kim,
    FINALLY! a cook I can do with confidence! :laugh:
    Brian in PA
    ·
    Brian,

Yep they are easy as pie...try 'em you'll like 'em...I promise B)
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC06608JPGathrowdown.jpg

I use my griddle on the Egg for cooking dogs, although not in butter mailmam.gif

The rub I use one is of my oldest brisket rubs which has onion, garlic and celery seed (among a few other things) on them. That is a great combination for sure. Seasonings really help out the low-fat dogs. If you never have, try the same thing on fried bologna, I do use butter for that.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • WilbyWilby Posts: 155
    Thanks for sharing. What a great idea.
    ·