Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To buy or not to buy

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the fence about buying a gas grill or BGE. Concerns about BGE are:
1.Heard last night that BGE is a smoker, not a grill. Our current tastes are for charcoal grilled foods (like seared filets). We haven't developed a taste for smoked foods primarily because we haven't tried them yet. With the high purchase price of the BGE, we don't want to make a wrong purchase.
2. Gas grills are usally rectangular in shape, have large burners supplying heat to the entire grill area, and are larger in area than the round BGE. Will the large BGE handle grilling say 8 to 10 steaks? Is the heat uniform or is there a concentration of heat in the center directly above the coals?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S10_02_9914_35_11.jpg
    <p />Bob Forsthoffer, as an ex-gas (25 years of gas) griller, I can only say that you should get the details on the BGE. I have done low/slow cooks at 200-225 degrees for 20+ hours on a single load of lump and I have seared steaks at 1000+ degrees. I never had a gas grill that would have the range or the capability of the BGE. [p]I bought my BGE (a medium and you'll probably want a large) in September '99 and have been totally satisfied. Check out the link and you'll find cokking EGGsperiences since September. After arrival, use the links on the left for navigation. If uou have any questions or need additional information, I can be contacted at gfw@yyyz.com - good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Bob Forsthoffer,
    We bought a new gas grill about 5 months before we bought our first Egg (a large BGE) and to be honest, it was a waste of nearly $750.00. We use it now, only when we want chicken cooked on the rotisserie. We bought it for my wife so she could have grilled things at a moments notice. (I was on the road quite a bit at the time!) Wrong! It can not compare to the food off the Eggs! (now (2) a lg and a small) I can't cook a Prime rib on the gas with confidence like I have on the Egg! I can't cook a pizza on the gas, like I can on the Egg! I would never attempt to cook a butt for 18 to 23 hours like I have on the Egg! Steaks cooked on the Egg take about 10 minutes longer than on the gas grill, because we have to get one of the Eggs going! The flavor of the steaks on the Egg is "the straw that broke the camel's back"! In all the years I used a gas grill, I have never been able to cook ribs like I can on the Egg! I've never been able to get that smoked flavor or even a slight hint of smoke from any of the gas grills we've owned! If I could, I'd make someone a great deal on a almost new "top of the line" Char Broil gas grill. There ain't nobody out there, that will pay me for what I think my Eggs are worth! I don't have any problem getting 8 or 10 KC strips on my Lg Egg at the same time. I can sear any steak I want at over 1000 degrees, but I prefer to sear them at 500 to 550 degrees. Just my preference though! I have less trouble on our Eggs with uniform heat, than I do on the gas grill! I can't get the temp. on the gas grill as low as I would like. Just ain't made that way![p]I know this is one sided, but I think you'll see you get this kind of response from nearly everyone here on the forum! If you want to see perfection, go to Tim M's Or Gfw's or Tanker Tim's site. These guys are the Eggsperts and have the software to show you results! Where are you gona see a bunch of people ready to offer advice and "expertise" for a gas grill, like you can find here on the forum?[p]Please pardon my "soapbox" approach to answering your question! I honestly feel you would be doing your self and your family a dis-service if you buy a gas grill! Just MHO though![p]Goodluck, good Q'ing and I sure hope you make the "right" decision! :^)[p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: No matter which way you go, welcome to the forum and come back again, often! There's a wealth of information to be had here! Any one of the forum regulars will help you out no matter how or what you're cooking!

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Bob Forsthoffer,
    I am relatively new to the EGG. I also had 25+ years of LP experience with the best gas grill at the time. I rebuilt it last year ($500). A good gas grill starts at $500 and goes up to $1,700 and in a couple of years you are replacing stuff. BEG is actually cheaper if you take into account replacement costs. Last week I baked my first apple pie on MR. Green. Can't do that on gas nor can you bake bread or pizza. Nothing to replace with BGE. Spend a little time on this forum and you will see that these people are not all crazy just convinced. Ok mabye some are. I plead insanity. I'm just crazy about my BGE. Any questions E-Mail me.[p]MAC

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Bob Forsthoffer,
    I have only been egging for about six weeks now. Ya, it was hard to justify spending the bucks. I came from the "dark side" of "Q", you know, a $79.00 sunbeam gas grill from your local store. I don't remember how many burners and parts that I purchased over the years, but it was lots. One of my most happy days was when I rolled that sucker out to the curb and woke up the next morning to see that thing gone. Now, it's just me and Mr. Egg. Less of course you're counting my wife!
    Like Dr. C. said, where in world will you find a support group like here on BGE forum? These guys have been so much help to me and the thought of being able to sit down and hear answers to my questions and get their opinions on different topics....well, who can place a dollar figure on that?
    Last night, I egged me a T-bone that I'd put up against any eating joint in town..and I did it on my deck in the 'ol back yard! I have a lot to learn about the "Q" but I'm having a blast plus eating the best stuff I've ever made!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    mykitchen.jpg
    <p />Bob Forsthoffer,
    I only use my gas grill to store my tools that i use to cook on the eggs,to me they are the best grills you can buy.
    YB

• Bob Forsthoffer, The BGE is both, and excells at both. We grill fish more than beef, and find it is the first thing that gives results better than the best restaurants. High-temp gilling is a must for seared exteriors and moist insides. The BGE is particularly good at keeping foods moist despite the heat. As far as the size of the grill surface; yes it is smaller than whats available in a gas grill. A small compromise, unless you regularly cook for more than, say, six people. It can do 6 racks, and at least 6 large steaks. Hot spots are not a problem. Only drawback is some loss of facial and arm hair during your learning phase (badge of courage).

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bob Forsthoffer, Well, Bob, I cannot add a thing to the post's below except to add that like you, I was searching the internet for grills and BBQ to find something to replace my $115.00 two year old piece of junk. The third one in 5 or 6 years. Along with years of kettle type briquet charcoal cookers. There is a difference. I stumbled on the BGE via the BBQ forums elsewhere on the internet. Once I looked at it in the profiles and users comments, I knew I had hit the mother lode. Good luck on your decisions.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Bob Forsthoffer,
    Purchased my first LGE Christmas 1998. I enjoyed it so much that I just had to have a SGE that I could travel with - so I purchased one last August. The egg gives you a lot of flexibility in cooking. Just this week I've done steaks, chicken wings and pork chops. Follow Elder Ward's thesis on Pork Barbecue and I guarantee you'll taste some of the best BBQ you've ever put into your mouth. I've cooked just about everything on it except pizza - and I'm going to do that soon with Spin's online guidance. If you look at the purchase as a long-term investment, and I'm sure the egg will outlast any gas grill you can buy, it makes a whole lot of sense. IMHO, the egg is the ultimate smoker / grill! When you decide to purchase, I recommend you give Tater, Steve or Rick a call down at Cherokee Stove. They'll hook you up right. Go Heels - beat the Gators![p]TarHeel

• Bob Forsthoffer,
    Wow. After those responses, there is not a whole lot to add![p]I have a nice gas grill, and I used it for years and years. Up to July 1999 when I bought a medium BGE. 28 days later, I traded it in for a large, and have since added a small. There is very little that can't be cooked on an egg, and once you have tried the food, it becomes clear that some sort of magic happens when you cook food on the egg. [p]Buy the thing!! Don't look back and stop back here often. I have learned more about cooking here on the forum, than all of my years cooking on ol'gassy. [p]You will find that most of the folks here used to cook on gas. Those who haven't gotten rid of their gas grill use it for a table, or storage space.[p]Hope to see a report of your purchase soon![p]NB

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Bob Forsthoffer,[p]You question is quite a good one! The responces before mine are very complete![p]I have one very important word for you "EGG"![p]Like many others, I bought a gassy at the begining of last summer, and a good one, a Weber. About a month later, I went to cook-off and saw my first Egg. It was a thing of beuty , but more important, THE FOOD! It was GREAT!( I had driven past the store no less than a hundred times and wondered what kind of crazy would pay alot of money for a charcoal green thing?)[p]To keep a long story short, I bought one and have never looked back. I even sold the gassy.[p]Smokey
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    YB,
    What is that white contraption on the right???
    I love that picture of your cozy cooking heaven.
    You, my friend, are stylin and smylin![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Bob Forsthoffer,
    I have to add my two cents as well. I was in the market for a new gas grill and visited a friend of mine who had just purchased a BGE. I had the best grilled chicken breasts I'd ever eaten. My decision on what to buy was made by the end of that meal! Since my large BGE purchase I've broadened my culinary horizens...not only can I cook the best "grill food," but I've done briskets, pulled pork, pizza, salmon, and steaks that can't be beat (eat your heart out, Ruths Chris!). Suffice it to say that you wont be disappointed with a BGE, and will have it long after your gas is dead and gone. The best investment I've made in a long time. I agree wholeheartedly with the fine folks who have posted before me, and echo their sentiments.

• YB
    Nature Boy,
    That is my dehydrator,at the time i took the picture i was making 7 pounds of jerky,i make it outside because of the smell.
    YB

• Nature Boy
    YB,
    As a backpacker who is going to Idaho for a 2 week expedition in August, you have piqued my interest! Do you smoke the jerky on the egg, then dehydrate it??? [p]I would be one happy camper with a bunch of egged and dried jerkey!! Please tell me more if you get the time.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    Nature Boy,
    I got the 1008 gardenmaster,it is great for making jerky out of hamburger and for drying fruits,vegetables and herbs.The one i got came with 8 trays and is expandable to 30 trays,you could dry all your food for back packing,check out the site below,if you get one i have a great recipe for jerky.
    YB

[ul][li]Dehydrator[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Bob Forsthoffer,[p]I echo all of the previous comments and add that the price is not as high when you consider the cost of replacing the gas grill several times. The EGG has a lifetime warranty that the company stands behind.[p]The EGG is a very versatile cooker capable of slow cooking at <200F to grilling and searing at 750-1000F. As your cooking interests change, the BGE will remain useful as it can cook whatever you want.[p]Spin
  • Bob Forsthoffer,
    I had a Weber for years, moved to Seattle and have cooked on a gas grill for the last 7 years until last weekend. I can't beklieve I waited this long to go back to charcol...I can't bleieve I waited this long to buy the BGE.
    The porterhouse steaks were almost perfect, first time using the BGE and the grilled salmon (and I had just about perfected the art of gas grilling a filet) the next night was the BEST fish I'd ever done. I couldn't believe how much juice was left in the fliet. I used some alder for smoke and got an absolute perfect thin crust of smoked skin that was unreal.
    I'm telling ya..the kids college education can wait...buy the BGE NOW.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Scott the Rookie Egger, and some folks think these are staged or paid for inserted testimonials..:-) [p]Nicely said!!
    And if we missed ya, welcome aboard. Sounds like your off and running in great shape.
    Cheers...C~W[p][p]

• Nature Boy
    YB,
    Thanks! Freeze dried camping meals are 6-8 bucks each at the camping stores. Maybe that dehydrater would be a good investment. There I go again with the rationalizations to justify yet another toy....errr...tool![p]It'll be a challenge getting this one by the missuz.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    Nature Boy,
    If you price jerky it cost about $29.00 a pound,i paid for my dehydrator with the first three batches of jerky i made,i can make 7 pounds at a time,and those cute little twins of yours will love the leather fruit roll ups you can make.A film came with mine that shows you how to make dryed fruits,vegetables,jerky,breakfast recipes and even candies,if you would like borrow the film send me a e-mail with your address or go to a book store and get
    How to dry foods by Denna Delong
    YB