Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fan to keep the fire going

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All,
I am currently using a steel grill until my ceramic grill arrives. Last night, my fire was about to go out on me at the end of my cook so I had to pull out a hair dryer to fan the flames and keep them going. Do any of you use any sort of gadgets to keep your flames going?[p]Thanks for your input.
AJW

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    muffin-fan.jpg
    <p />AJW,[p]I have a hair dryer that pooped out and I removed the heater coil and I keep it around to "speed" up the fire when needed. I haven't had to use it in many months since there is ALWAYS a wind here (that is why the Wright Bros flew here) and I can usually point the vent opening into the wind. Pictured is an old computer power supply muffin fan I have around in case I need it. It has come in handy from time to time.[p]Tim M
    tourch1.gif

• AJW,
    From time to time I resort to a small battery operated plastic fan called a personal fan. Runs on 2 AA batteries and actually puts out quite a huff! I gave $4 for it at a Walgreen's. It fans the embers real well without blowing them all over the place.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    kat, how do you keep from blowing ash all over your meat? I have tried gently blowing into the bottom vent, to get my fire started, and it seems that ash goes everywhere so I have been hesitant to do this once my cooking has started.[p]If it can be done without blowing ash around it would be great for the last few hours of a long cook when it is sometimes difficult to keep the temp up where you want it.[p]CR
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    CR,[p]I use mine to get the fire up to temp - not to keep it there so there is no meat in there yet. The muffin fan provides a slight breeze and it doesn't disrupt the ash like a hair dryer or your huffing & puffing does.[p]Tim
  • CR, guess I wasn't clear, but when I'm using the fan it is to intensify the coals and spread the fire, so no food is on yet.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    AJW,
    I have used a hair dryer to speed the heating up process prior to starting a cook and have found it very effective. It can jump the temp 100¡ very quickly. I have never used it for what you are suggesting, but I can see how it would help if you could keep the air speed from blowing ashes all over your food.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    AJW,[p]I use one of those "personal fans" too that are battery operated. Works like a charm to get the fire going in the beginning - I have never used it during a cook, though.[p]My cousin back in Atlanta has been known to use his gas leaf blower to get his fire going, if you can believe that. I guess he has even less patience than I do.[p]TRex
  • TRex, LOL about your couisin using a gas leaf blower on his BGE, but hey I use one all the time to help dry my cars when I wash them! Best thing since sliced bread for spotless drying of intricate wheels.

• Steve-O,
    Thanks for the comments from all of you. Let me clarify something, though. When I do use the blow dryer, I take remove the grill with the meat, fan the coals, then replace the grill.[p]