Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Stew--Quik Q

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Believe it or not, we are getting hit hard with snow here today in SW Ontario.... so I am making use of some bone-in lamb stewing meat and going to try lamb stew. Only other time I've tried this is with leftover leg o' lamb meat. With these bones, I have them almost already browned, but need to braise/stew the meat from the bone. For liquid I can go with some lager beer or the 1/2 cup Merlot wine I have left in the fridge... What flavour would make for a better stew from lamb? I rarely cook lamb, and as mentioned, it's always been the leg.
Gonna have to decide here soon...
Beer or red wine (merlot) for lamb stew?
Qfan

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Most recipes call for white wine.Here is one that looks pretty good.The first day practice round here in Augusta got rained out....Maybe they will get to play tomorrow.All the bars are full here.
    Larry

[ul][li]Lam Stew[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BBQfan1, I like the idea of a dark lager. Here's one recipe I found. Maybe you can adapt:
    LAMB STEW
    SERVES 4 [p]I love a good stew. I love lamb. And I love the flavor beer imparts in lamb or beef stews. Can you guess that I love this recipe. If prefer, you can substitute beef for the lamb. [p]INGREDIENTS [p]1 tablespoon olive oil (more if needed)
    2 pounds lamb shoulder or leg meat, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
    2 teaspoons all purpose flour
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 12-ounce bottle dark beer
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 large onions, sliced into rings
    4 large garlic cloves, chopped
    4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add lamb to skillet in batches, being careful not to crowd the pan, and brown well on all sides. Remove from skillet using slotted spoon. When all the lamb is browned, return to the skillet. Sprinkle with flour and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes. Remove to a Dutch oven, using a slotted spoon. [p]Degrease skillet. Place over medium-high heat; add beer and stir, scraping up any browned bits. Blend in vinegar, mustard, bay leaf and thyme. Pour over meat mixture. Melt butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Mix onions and garlic into meat. Bring stew to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until meat is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Skim off extra fat, if necessary. Add carrots and cook for an additional 30 minutes. If stew is too dry, add more water or broth as needed. If too liquid, cook uncovered until desired consistency. Serve with rice, buttered noodles or boiled potatoes. (Stew can be prepared 2-3 days ahead, refrigerated and gently rewarmed over low heat.) [p][p]

[p]
    [ul][li]Irish Lamb Stew[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    BBQfan1, Nigella Lawson has a killer lamb shank stew recipe on the web site. I have prepared it using cubed lamb as well. I'll see if I can find it for you. JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I like to add yhe condiments that you would for curry dishes like toasted coconut, chutney, chopped pistachios, chutney & raisins or dried cherries.[p]Here it is:
    [ul][li]Lamb shank stew[/ul]