Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New at smoking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never owned a smoker and am interested in buying the BGE. Tell me if it is easy to use and why it is so desired. What size is best? Can a small size cook enough for 4-6 people?
Thank you!!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Donna, its easier than your stove..setting temperatures becomes a natural. for daily use for four to 6 people you will need the large and like me, eventually add a small or medium. Our house never uses a stove except for burner uses. Boiled tater's or bacon and eggs.
    Yell for more info if needed...good luck!
    C~W[p]

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Welcome Donna,
    If you scroll down the page, you will find a post "to buy or not to buy?" The question was posed by Bob Forsthoffer. The answers to Bob's question will give you an idea of why Eggowners are so in love with their Eggs. I'm sure some of the other members here will be able to answer your specific questions.[p]Nu-Guy

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Donna,[p]The BGE Eggs are in a class by themselves. They are called a smoker, but that is only the begining of what they can do. You can turn a tough cut of meat into a delicacy, cooking low and slow (200-225F) for 16-20 hours. You can sear a steak at 750+F for the juiciest you've had. It is a smoker, cooker, and grill. I haven't used my oven since I got the Egg.[p]Temperature control is precise and predictable, requiring a short learning curve to get the feel of it. The Egg is easy to use and will cook the same great meal in the dead of winter equally as well as if it was the middle of summer.[p]Char-Woody and I both own the large and small eggs and we both started with the large. As C~W has stated, you are really pushing the cooking area limits of the small egg for 4 or more people. I'd recommend you seek the large. It is more money, but will comfortably cook any meal you want for 4-6 people and make leftovers. The large also adds the possibility of making pizza and bread. The hearth baked flavor is tops. With a lifetime warranty, you will never have to replace your smoker/cooker/grill again.[p]Spin

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Donna,
    Spring must be in the air! Everyone is lookin' to get outdoors and start Q'ing! [p]Put your worries aside! The BGE is a snap to use and is also forgiving! You will never find another cooker, grill, smoker or what-ever that has the versitility of an Egg. From long slow cooks @ 2oo degrees for 20 plus hours to short sizzling cooks at nearly 1000 degrees. You can do it all and do it on an easily affordable amount of lump charcoal.[p]If you cook for 4 to 6 people regularly, go for the Lg BGE. It will give you plenty of room and still be easy to use. If money is no object, get two! A Lg. and a med. or sm. That way you have unlimited versitility! A lot of us "crazies" have two Eggs! Some have 3 and some (like JJ) have more! They are fun to use and the results from an Egg are un-beatable! Where else will you find a support group that will back you up with info, support, recipes and eggsperience like you've never seen! We're all a bunch of "crazies", but we're dedicated "crazies" that believe in the Egg![p]Welcome aboard and good Q'ing![p]Dr. Chicken[p]

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Options
    Donna, I wondered about it too, had all the questions, etc---my advice is just go ahead and jump in with the large one--if you don't, you will, like me spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars trying to find the perfect bbq'r. Cut to the chase and get the Egg. Happy cooking![p]Kona Tim