Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First time

HermHerm Posts: 206
edited 5:46PM in EggHead Forum
It's -2 outside, and my egg is frozen shut for the first time ever. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Herm
·

Comments

• Don't have that problem in my neighborhood but I have seen folks suggest dropping a starter or two down the top vent and/or sliding one in through the bottom vent. Good luck with it.
    ·
  • HermHerm Posts: 206
    Unfortunately, I don't have any starters. I've been using oil soaked paper towels as my starter for a while now.
    What about warming it up with a hairdryer around the edge?
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    light some newspaper in the bottom vent.
    ·
  • Hairdryer should work. Pat's newpaper suggestion may be faster and you won't have to stand in the cold with the hairdryer. :ermm: :huh:
    ·
  • GandolfGandolf Posts: 878
    I'm sure you have it by now, but for next time, if you have a trouble light turn it on and hang it down through the dome. The heat will loosen things.
    ·
  • HermHerm Posts: 206
    Thanks everyone. I got it. I found a starter at the fireplace, so I used that and it finally opened up. And the temp is all the way up to 7! unfortunately, now I'm 2 hours behind on my ribs.

I did find it kind of funny that I got frozen egg help from a guy in Florida and a guy in Louisiana!
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    :laugh: :laugh: ;)
    ·