Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex gloves on sale

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tested many different mitts and gloves and posted about them in the past. One of the items that I liked the best was a pair of Nomex flight gloves which are worn by military pilots. They are thin so they are not designed to handle super hot grates or plate setters but they work great when you need to baste, flip, turn, sprinkle, stir, taste, load, or unload food on the egg. They are thin enough that you have complete control of the finer grilling tools but the Nomex is flame proof and disipates heat well, plus they are long so they protect your entire forearms from heat or flashback. I paid $30 for my pair and felt that it was a good deal but I just noticed that they are on sale for less than half price ($13-$14) at Sportsmans Guide. They come in different sizes and colors while supplies last. Enjoy.

115841_ts.JPG?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

Comments

• Charleston Dave
    Options
    WileE, a while back I proposed a four-step standardized testing method for gloves.

Not to "throw down the gauntlet" ( :laugh: ) but is there any chance you could do this on these Nomex flight gloves, since you already have a pair?
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Good post Dave. I like your testing method. I did many similar tests when testing all of my gloves and mitts, however I tested the heat function by warming up a grate and plate setter to various temps (400-600+ F) and seeing how long I could hold each of the hot items before my hand felt warm, hot, and then too hot to continue holding. I posted detailed results on the forum which you might be able to find with the search function.

These Nomex gloves are the best you can get for flexibility, dexterity, comfort, and extended wear. You can easily pickup small items and perform detailed tasks. Remember that pilots wear these while flying billion-dollar jets with lots of small controls.

They are fine for food safety and cleanliness as well. Since they are thin and breathable you can wear them for a long while without sweat or condensation build-up, and the fabric is such that no fibers are released into the food. They are washable however I never needed to wash mine yet.

The only limitation is that they won't tolerate the super hot items for very long because they are so thin. You can use them to quickly pickup and move a hot grate or cooking dish but I wouldn't handle a super hot plate setter with these other than to slightly reposition it. They excel at preventing singed hair or burns on the forearms which can occur with other shorter gloves when you bump into the edge of the grate or a leg of the plate setter. Best flashback protection of all my gloves when I just need to open the dome and flip or baste.

Also, this site has a lot of Sportsmans Guide coupons which you can use to get another $5 or $10 off your order depending on what you spend. Since they are so cheap why don't you try a pair and post a review with your other results? I know you will like them and can use them at least some of the time.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I don't see the Army TAG-1 glove in your list.
    They are made of a Nomex / Kevlar weave. They have a fine leather over the palm and inside of the fingers that give them a good feel and excellent gripping, even with the thin layer of breathable insulation the flight gloves don't have. My son gave me a pair for Christmas. I like them MUCH better than my flight gloves.

Michael B.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Michael,

I am not sure if the gloves sold by SG have any Kevlar in them or if they are pure Nomex but they are supposed to be the exact type used by the military. SG sells a lot of military surplus items so I would expect them to be the real thing. The pair which I purchased months ago from another supplier looks identical to the gloves on the SG site, and my pair does have a thin layer of leather over the palm and inside the fingers just as you describe. They do not appear to have any internal insulation but I would not want them to. I use them when I want comfort and the ability to perform all of the finer grilling and food handling tasks while still being protected from flashback and the heat which rises directly above the flames and grilling area. When I need to handle a super hot grate or plate setter for more than a few seconds then I use a thick pair of fire resistant welding gloves or my orka mitt.