Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin' Bacon

Options
BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put a loin on about an hour and half ago. It's about 2 1/2" or so thick. Brined in High Mountain buckboard brine. Dome 220* grid temp 192*. Meat by Maverick and Therapen is 112*. Plan on going to 145*.

Several places I researched talk about smoking for about 2 hours then a couple more hours to get to temp. Looks like mine is going to hit 145 much sooner. Anything wrong with that? I guess 145 is 145 no matter how long or fast it happens.

--Dave

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Can you get your dome down a little? I try to keep mine around 200 or a little under at the first part of the cook, then let it ease up a bit after a couple hours.
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Yup, took it down to 200 dome and grid now about 187 or so. I'll just let it go and see what happens. Wasn't sure what a a shorter cook time would do to the texture, flavor or whatever. BTW, any advantage to 145 over 155 other than needing to fry before eating if at the lower temp? Thanks.

--Dave
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    You could also try raising the grid higher to get the meat further away from the coals. I use a woo ring with a spider placed on top, then the grid. Comes out great....you will love it. Did 8 pounds on Monday. B)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I'm not sure what would happen to the texture, but a slower smoke let's you get more smoke. :woohoo:

Since I plan to fry, I have stuck with 140-145.
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Actually I'm doing it indirect. Adjustable Rig Grid extender, slide guide and a couple of grids coming tomorrow. Next time I'll try direct raised.

--Dave