Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef jerky

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone out there successfully made beef jerky on the bge?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    jerky.jpg
    <p />angel egg,
    Beef jerky was the second or third cook I had on my BGE. Go to the link section and click on Gfw's site and use his River City Beef Jerky recipe. I modified it a little but have had great results.[p]CWM

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    jerky5.jpg
    <p />angel egg,[p]I have not done any in several moths - I might have to make another batch. It comes out differently than beef jerky like you buy in the store that has been slowly dried out in a dehydrator, but it is very good and doesn't last long around our house. You want to cut the meat in thin strips and let it marinate in a good jerky marinate, then slow cook it at 200-225 deg until it is done to your liking. Flip it around and pull off any pieces that get done earlier than others. Yummy[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's cookbook and ceramic stuff[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    angel egg,[p]Here is a link to my jerky page. When it comes to drying, no matter what cooker you use....try to keep your temps under 200º....otherwise you will start to cook the meat.[p]Stogie
    [ul][li]Stogie's Jerky Page[/ul]
  • angel egg,[p]Many of the folks on this site will tell you to keep it under 200 degrees to avoid cooking...very hard to do. The Egg purrs at 225 to 250 but is fussy below 200.[p]I put my meat on for 1 to 2 hours to gather some nice smoke (at 225) then transfer the meat to the dehydrator which uses 145 heat to dry out the beef. I found this method to be faster and more efficient. The results are true jerky versus cooked beef.[p]CC