Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soon to be an Egger

Nucman
Nucman Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone! I am happy to say that I will be picking up my LBGE this afternoon! I went to the grill store a couple of weekends ago to buy a new gasser. I was talked into the BGE instead. Whenever I go to the grill store, I always walk by the BGE display and never think twice about it. When I went to buy the new grill, the salesman asked me what were my plans for the new grill. I told him. He told me to forget the gasser and immediately walked me over to the BGE display and started telling me about it. Once he started telling me about the BGE, I started to fall in love with it. I had no idea the BGE could do so much! I was having all these visions of what I could possibly do with the egg. Does this sound normal? Is it normal to really be excited about getting an egg and having that "can't wait to fire it up" feeling? I've been looking at this site for the past couple of weeks and it seems like there's tons of help here for the asking. I am really looking forward to many cooks with my LBGE and using this forum. Thanks in advance for all the tips and information I've found on this forum so far.

The Nucman :cheer:

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Absolutely. Great to hear dealers knowing what tool a customer needs to do what they want to do as well.

You won't regret your choice. Lots of long time and multiple Egg owners here.

H
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Welcome to the family! The fun and great food is just starting. You'll never regret the purchase. As for your question about "Is this normal"? Nothing will be "normal" in your life ever again. Eggs have a way of doing it to you.

BGE needs a dealer in Milwaukee like you have. They never even tried to really push the sale when I bought my "FIRST" egg 8 mos. ago. Oh by the way the reason I put emphasis on FIRST is because I can just about guarantee that you'll be adding more eggs to your family. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nucmanofbr,

The really great part is that "I can't wait to fire it up" never goes away. I am in Canada and cook on the egg at least five times a week year round.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When I bought my first Egg, having read up about ceramic cookers beforehand, I expected it to work well. It was so much better than I expected. Then I found this forum, and was stunned by all the stuff people were cooking. There is a little bit of a learning curve, especially if you have only had gassers before, but you should be cooking really fine food in a very short time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Welcome to Eggland, feel free to ask any questions here, lots of good people to help out. There is a small learning curve but not too bad if you're using the forum.

You're in for a lot of fun. :)

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Welcome!

I am 66-y-o, and have been casually cooking with charcoal since I was in my teens. :)

Old procedure -- Make a hole in the ground, put some briquettes in, drown them with starter fluid, toss in a match and runn like hell. Wait for the stench to clear, put some kind of grid on top and cook away. :ohmy:

Less Old Procedure -- Graduated from hole in the ground to bricks on top of the ground to get more air flow. Otherwise, ditto. :sick:

Sorta New Procedure -- Spring... but a cheap hibachi, briquettes and starter fluid. And of season, throw out the old hibachi. :blush:

Newer Still Procedure -- Moved w-a-a-a-y up in the que-in' peckin' order. Got me a Weber! :kiss: For the first time, I had some control over what was happening with the food. Still used briquettes and starter fluid. :sick:

Then, we moved, and the Weber just didn't make the trip. Back to bricks and/or hibachi. :(

Finally! A weird looking Big Green Thang showed up on my back deck. :huh:

Took me a bit to adjust to using ceramic... but My-oh-My! Have reached backyard Que-in' Nirvana! :woohoo:

You be Home, now! :whistle: :woohoo: :ermm:

Again -- Welcome!

;)
  • Pop
    Pop Posts: 27

You are NOW hooked! Next thing you know you will be asking for bags of lump for Christmas!

Kick back and have a ball. There's no cooking like cooking on an egg and theres no match for the support you'll get here.

Welcome.

Pop in Alabama
  • your emotions are common to the eggers ,,, normal is a bit of a stretch,,, welcome... ask... post pics...we like pics
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    We got our first LBGE in August, we now have a SBGE too. I know what you are feeling...it only gets better. I have never enjoyed food as much as I do now. It has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. You won't regret becomming an Egghead. Don't forget to go to an Eggtoberfest. We went this past October. What a wonderful experience. You will meet a lot of wonderful people who are more than willing to give advice, help and taste their delicious food that the cooked on the Eggs. :):):)
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Congratulations.

I've owned my Large BGE since November and am cooking on it about 3 times/week. It is great and wasn't too hard to climb the learning curve - especially with help from all the people here.

Just start slow and use low temperature cooking for your first few cooks to give the gasket a chance to break in. My first cook was smoked chicken drumsticks.

Read the forum every day and do some searching of past posts to answer your questions. If you can't find an answer, start a new thread and you'll get plenty of answers.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • You just described the same way I felt when I got mine a few weeks ago! I was calling the store every day to see if it was in, I'd return there to look at the display models, and bored family, friends, and coworkers with the sales pitch on how great it is.

I'm no less excited about it now. With the help of the fine folks here I've cooked prime rib, beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, beer-can chicken, baby back ribs, brisket, ribeyes, burgers, pizza, pork butt and more in just a few weeks! Almost all of it turned out really well - that's not me bragging that's a great cooker that makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

Glad you've picked yours up and I look forward to seeing what you cook!
  • Jimmy
    Jimmy Posts: 15
    you will love your BGE. I got mine for Christmas and the only time it has cooled off is when I'm on the road back at work. Don't worry, I'll have it hot again by Friday night.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    I get that "can't wait to fire it up" feeling everyday and I have been an egghead since 2006 :lol: Tonight I did all beef hot dogs on the mini BGE and I used Mesquite wood for smoking them ;) I topped em off with French's yellow mustard Heinz ketchup and Sauerkraut. Simple but oh sooooooo good egged :evil:
  • Sho got that right!

100_1693.jpg
  • With the help of the fine folks here I've cooked prime rib, beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, beer-can chicken, baby back ribs, brisket, ribeyes, burgers, pizza, pork butt and more in just a few weeks!

Man, you must have a commercial refrigerator :woohoo:
  • Ain't nothin' NORMAL about becoming an EGGER :woohoo: You are ruined for life :evil: in the best possible way! Enjoy your new baby and your new friends of the Egghead Forum ;) It's a life-altering eggperience :P
  • Nucman
    Nucman Posts: 59
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the words of encouragement. I was unable to pick up my LBGE and table last night because the dealer insisted on assembling them for me. What service! I just got a call and they are ready so I'll be on my way after work today. I'm REALLY l@@king forward to using this thing. I just can't wait.

Thanks again,
    The Nucman
    Baton Rouge, LA